What's new

Rain X in the bay

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I saw a wash which was dispensing Rain X out of a separate gun in the bay. It seems like a good idea. Dispensing out of the main trigger gun would
however, eliminate the need to provide freeze protection (I'm in the great white north) to a separate gun. Has anyone tried it in either application?

We also have considered marketing our own "brand" of super sealant in both the iba and the bays. Do you think the Rain X brand is more recognized and therefore would sell better?

bigleo48

Reaction score
Why a different gun? Likely trying to foam it up ( hard to do with a sealant).
I have it out of my regular gun and works fine.

Rainx does sell better. It I'd also a myth that it is more expensive as it can be tipped down much lower than other products I have tried.

Big

Reaction score
We also have considered marketing our own "brand" of super sealant in both the iba and the bays. Do you think the Rain X brand is more recognized and therefore would sell better?[/QUOTE]

I know Rain-x has the edge being the first to develop and market a total body protectant for the wash industry. BUT, in my experience with different protectants, I have seen with adequate marketing to educate the consumer on reasons to upgrade and try the product, do just as good in sales as Rain X. There are other TBP besides Rain X that work just as good, if not better, and at a cheaper cost; even being able to be used in higher dilution ratios than Rain X.

MEP001

Reaction score
bigleo48 said:
Why a different gun? Likely trying to foam it up ( hard to do with a sealant).
RainX will foam well from a tri-foam type gun, and you can get a more "showy" application than you can through the high-pressure gun.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
This is a great idea!! I bought the 3X foam equipment from Carolina Pride for both of my new Performa units, and the usage on them is negligable to say the least. In one year, we havent even changed out the original 5 gal chemical pails!

I've asked CP how extensive a job it would be to changeover this 3X foam machine to dispense Rain-X, but I guess the easiest way would be to put all 3 hydrominder hoses in the same pail of Rain-X and let the system work as it was designed.

I agree that Rain-X has a great brand recognition, and am excited to see if my customers will increase the usage of that 3X option.

ScottV

Etowah

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
This is a great idea!! I bought the 3X foam equipment from Carolina Pride for both of my new Performa units, and the usage on them is negligable to say the least. In one year, we havent even changed out the original 5 gal chemical pails!

I've asked CP how extensive a job it would be to changeover this 3X foam machine to dispense Rain-X, but I guess the easiest way would be to put all 3 hydrominder hoses in the same pail of Rain-X and let the system work as it was designed.

I agree that Rain-X has a great brand recognition, and am excited to see if my customers will increase the usage of that 3X option.

ScottV
What will you do for freeze protection?

Eric H

Reaction score
I saw a wash which was dispensing Rain X out of a separate gun in the bay. It seems like a good idea. Dispensing out of the main trigger gun would
however, eliminate the need to provide freeze protection (I'm in the great white north) to a separate gun.
What are people doing regarding freeze protection in these systems? I too have been considering Rain-x thru a tri-foam gun but I do not want to weep it if I can avoid it. I know that the tri-foam chemicals have winter fomulas but what would you do with Rain-x or similar product?

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
What are people doing regarding freeze protection in these systems? I too have been considering Rain-x thru a tri-foam gun but I do not want to weep it if I can avoid it. I know that the tri-foam chemicals have winter fomulas but what would you do with Rain-x or similar product?
The one I saw used a plc to do a combination of air blow down & windshield washer fluid injection. I was thinking it would be easier to offer it thru the trigger gun since freeze protection would not be an issue there.

MEP001

Reaction score
ScottV said:
I see lots of usage of the triple-foam. About one in five customers use it and spend a couple minutes applying. I use Simoniz UVP which isn't very concentrated, and the three pails last about 8 months. For what I estimate it makes from use and extra rinsing, it's quite profitable.

jimbeaux

Reaction score
My concern with the rain-x in the bay would be a slipping hazard. I know our automatic can really get slick with the rain-x type of protection we are using. For those that are already offering it in the bay is this a valid concern? Thanks

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I wish somebody would formulate a 3X foam with Rain-X in it or something similar
Try warsaw weathershield tri foam or Quest Flourofoam. They are not as foamy as traditional tri color products but certainly have some of the Rain-X properties that you can see working.

I have a single color foaming conditioner gun at one wash and use Quest Reflex. It's their rain-x alternative. You have to tip it stronger but it works well in this application. I'm pretty sure they would make custom colors. The profit on this product would be small, or possibly even a loss leader.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
Ric,
I remember switching to RainX in the gun and we put a big sign above the coin box. We track every bay by selection to the second and noticed 0% increase. I don't get it because RainX definitely worked great from the gun compared to the old bay wax. I'm setting your expectation low here. There was never an issue with the floors being slippery either.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
I don't like Rain X. I have found that there are many other similar products that cost a fraction of what Rain X costs. Proper signage and advertising of similar products gets me just as many sales

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Ric,
I remember switching to RainX in the gun and we put a big sign above the coin box. We track every bay by selection to the second and noticed 0% increase. I don't get it because RainX definitely worked great from the gun compared to the old bay wax. I'm setting your expectation low here. There was never an issue with the floors being slippery either.
Do you think adding it as an additional function in the bay would help sell it?...similar to the way Poughkeepsie did, but thru the gun instead.

I'm already using a "brand x" supersealant in my iba, which I am happy with and I want to put it in the bays also. My competitors have all got Rain X. I'm trying to decide if I should market my product harder with our own "brand name" or give in and just follow the crowd with Rain X.

Etowah

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
If marketed correctly customers will use your super sealant. The key is well designed signage and using a quality product that produces good results.

mac

Reaction score
Another option if you want to apply RainX through the main gus is with the Etowah credit card system. You can make any of the selections "more costly" to the customer. When that option is selected, it counts the time faster.