What's new

Rain X How do I??

Kevin James

Reaction score
Last August my girlfriend made the mistake of washing my car in a car wash that offered Rain X. The car looked pretty darn nice when she got home, clean and shined nice. Now that the rainy season is upon us it?s almost impossible to see out the windshield at night when the wipers are from the greasy smear that is left is left on the windshield from the one time Rain X application. I?ve replaced the wiper blades, cleaned the windshield with just about every cleaner I can think of. How do I get this crap off my windshield? This is a safety issue and I need to get this off ASAP!!!!

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Quick Fix

The Original product made for window glass worked so well that Eco-Lab bought it's trademark and decided to milk the product's great name and performance... and market a different product for automatic spray-arch application for the entire car by the same name Rain-X, and increase sales in a different market that can use the stuff in 55-gallon drums. The marketing guy probably got a promotion and bonus for prostituting the product's well-established reputation. It created a whole new market in automatic car washing. Basically, it's marketing bull poop. And it worked.

Again, the spray-on stuff that is available at the car wash isn't the same formula that original Rain-X is, so the best way to correct your problem... and get the great benefit of the original Rain-X is to apply the Original Rain-X (little yellow bottle). Wal-Mart, Pep Boys, or any automotive store. Not expensive.:)

Read the instructions, apply, and wait for rain.

Forget about your wipers because unless you're creeping along in slow traffic, you won't need them. The rain simply blows off the windshield. And if you do need an occasional wipe, they shouldn't smear at all.;)

I've used the stuff for many years... and swear by its performance. Living in Florida, we get plenty of rain showers. Bugs don't seem to stick as bad, either.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Boy, that sounds like they were applying way too much product to do that. It should come off with either one of the d-limonene solvent or solvent type cleaners followed by glass cleaner to remove the solvent. Make sure that you get a true d-limonene solvent based cleaner, not just one that smells like oranges or is water based. I would also use newspaper with the glass cleaner to make sure you get all the solvent off. Only use this on the glass. It would remove any wax or protection you have on painted surfaces.

Randy

Reaction score
Kevin, I feel your frustration!! I will NEVER put any kind of rain type products on any of my vehicles again. Living in the PNW it?s rains a lot here and I?ve had the same results that you?ve had. I got some Rain X samples at one of the car wash conventions and give them to my father in law. I told him to not put it on the windshield, only put it on the side and rear windows, apparently he miss understood me and he put it on the windshield. He cussed me every time he said for months after that, he had the same results your having , smeary and hard to see at night. He used lighter fluid and made a paste of Comet cleaner to get it off.

JK Xpress

Reaction score
Sounds like something other than Rain X is on your winshield and wiper blades - maybe some hydraulic oil??

I have been washing my car basically everyday for 3 years w/ Rain'X and leave it parked in front of my office for all customers to see. I have never had a problem.

And to add to Steve's comment, in addition to rain bouncing off the windshield, rain and snow bounces right off my hood.

Renato

Reaction score
Seems that your car was washed with something different than RAIN-X. I have used RAIN X on my car washes for the past 6 years and I can say that the product ( yellow bottle) its an outstanding product, I havent received any complain about the product!
regards
Renato from Mexico

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I have been using Rain-X for several years now with no problems that you describe. As with most carwash wax products, i've found that less product than the sales rep wants you to use is usually better. What you are describing seems more like road oil on your windshield. :confused:

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
No problems like that here with rain-x. My bet is not on the rain-x product causing the problem, but an oil-based drying agent or sealerwax. I don't know why, but some tunnels apply both the drying aid and premium CCP.

CleanStreak

Single IBA
Reaction score
Maybe you're a victem of the ole switcheroo

I have heard of the practice of using Rain-X for a while, putting the logos all over the place, and then replacing the Rain-X for some other (cheaper) product.

Clearly this is a deceptive practice, but that would explain why many have good results, and you are not. :(

Just a thought.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Ditto the above. The cause is something else. I suggest that you wet a towel with an Amonia solution and clean he wiper blades and windshield.