What's new

R/O excessive reject water

cherokee235

Reaction score
I have a Syncro 1500 R/O production unit. It should produce 1.1 gal/min. It has dropped to .3gpm and the regulator has no effect on raising the production, and I am getting excessive reject water. The output meter shows 90-95% range which is one notch below the best.

Has my membrane blown a hole in itself? Or has an O ring blow out somewhere? The membrane was replaced in 2009. Since my product water is still satisfactory, I'm kinda of thinking it may be something more.

Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks

washnvac

Reaction score
Change the procon pump. I just had the same issue. My procon needs replaced about every 2-3 years. I keep a spare on hand, then send the old one to EDCO Services for a rebuild.

MEP001

Reaction score
What is the pressure on the system? A bad pump won't cause an increase of reject flow, it would only cause an overall loss of pressure on the system. The production side should run around 200 PSI. If the membrane had "blown a hole in itself," your product quality would be high and the product flow would be more than the reject. It sounds like your flush is either stuck on or happened to be on when you checked it, or the ajdustment to the reject is open too much. Either of those will cause a drop in system pressure that you can't adjust back up with your regulator.

cherokee235

Reaction score
What is the pressure on the system? A bad pump won't cause an increase of reject flow, it would only cause an overall loss of pressure on the system. The production side should run around 200 PSI. If the membrane had "blown a hole in itself," your product quality would be high and the product flow would be more than the reject. It sounds like your flush is either stuck on or happened to be on when you checked it, or the ajdustment to the reject is open too much. Either of those will cause a drop in system pressure that you can't adjust back up with your regulator.
40psi on the inlet line. I can screw the regulator in and get up to 200psi+ on the gauge, but the product flow meter only will climb as high as .3gpm. I'm getting so much reject water that it is overflowing my reclaim tanks, but my product quality is in the 90 to 95% range.

Seems like the if the pump was bad I wouldn't be able to get that high pressure. I didn't think about the flush valve solenoids sticking open. How do you adjust the reject amount? I've never adjusted it in all the years I've had this.

David

MEP001

Reaction score
It sounds like your membrane is fouled. That would happen if your softener isn't working.

cherokee235

Reaction score
Got her fixed. Replaced the membrane and also replaced the carbon in the carbon tank. I'm getting 1.1gpm at 150 psi which is where it should be. My last membrane replacement was May 2009.

Thanks for the help.
David

MEP001

Reaction score
Have you checked the softener? Membranes should last at least five years. You should test the water at least once a week.