What's new

Quickbooks 2009 Problems!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Paul,

A friend of mine looked at my Blackberry and said "I'll never get one of those" and pointed to his Daytimer book and said "this is all I need and it's low tech...no batteries required". I replied, OK, then I took the book and said "you can't have it back" and "So what do you do now?" He looked puzzled and took my phone and said "you can't have it back" and "So what do you do now?" I replied, "I cancel that phone, get a new one and it will automatically re-sync with all my info". It got him thinking.

Big
I hate attorneys in court with the PDAs . Judge asks what date is good for the next hearing. Some of us open our docket books and then stand there and wait while the techno guy changes to the correct screen, may need to pull out the stylus, scroll to the correct days and tehn determine what his availability is. BTW most prof liab ins requires redundant record keeping, so most guys enter their personal datebook info in the ofice log as well. So, if you lose your personal book, the office has the duplicate entries.

So, just as yopu have to sync your info with the electronic device, you can do the same with the pencil and paper.

Then of course theres the person whose palm pilot is when she write notes on her hand.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't use accounting software anymore, but I used Peachtree for a while for a small business. Each time I finished a session I would save the database with a new, unique filename and email it (Not a backup, it's just the same data in a different file container) to myself.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I hate attorneys in court with the PDAs . Judge asks what date is good for the next hearing. Some of us open our docket books and then stand there and wait while the techno guy changes to the correct screen, may need to pull out the stylus, scroll to the correct days and tehn determine what his availability is. BTW most prof liab ins requires redundant record keeping, so most guys enter their personal datebook info in the ofice log as well. So, if you lose your personal book, the office has the duplicate entries.

So, just as yopu have to sync your info with the electronic device, you can do the same with the pencil and paper.
Who still owns a PDA? Except for the ones no longer used in your office drawer. Sync happens automatically. I guess these guys do not share schedules "real time". Pencils and paper will not remind you of an appointment or task. Pencils won't allow you to automatically create a "follow up" task and assign it to an employee. Pencils don't allow you to dip databases. Pencils don't have GPS accuracy. Pencils can't take pictures and attach to a task or sms/email to others. Can't watch an instructional "how to" video from youtube at the job site with a paper pad. Pencil won't allow you to log into your IBA and reset the machine and issue a free wash while monitoring it on video. And so on...

I still own pencils, I just can't ever find them...Big

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Just a heads up, Microsoft has discontinued its MONEY software series that was in competition with Quicken-Quickbooks.

I was leaning towards Quickbooks for my online bill pay etc. My payroll is tailored for ourselves with Access 2002. It looks like that was one of the better things I have done considering what you guys are saying about Quickbooks Payroll. Once a year I have to adjust for changes which is not too bad. It is mostly one equation that the IRS lets you use in place of the reference tables. Downloadable free fillin 941s & free monthly EFTPS for IRS payments helps. If changes are too drastic I could be in trouble.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Big Leo,

I thought you said you werent a "geek"?!?!
I'd like to learn how to log into my M5 and issue a free wash remotely. That would save a lot of mailed refunds to p*ssed off customers!

ScottV

mmurra

Reaction score
Is there ANY alternative to QB? They have made an enemy of me over the years and I would support ANY other legit platform.

MEP001

Reaction score
Peachtree is the closest thing to it. They release a new version each year, and you can usually pick up last year's set for a fraction of the cost at retail stores. They continue to update older versions, so all functionality is retained.