What's new

Questions from the newbie :)

Ben Larson

Reaction score
Hello all. I currently own a company called Sound Connection. It is currently a 2 store chain vehicle enhancement facility I've owned since 1995. I recently bought a plot of land on a major highway in Brainerd MN with daily traffic count of 21,000 and is a few miles from a large international raceway, 2 RV dealers and several boat and car dealers. I am putting up a new facility for the current business and wanted to add a single dual bay self serve auto wash for RV's, boats, fish houses, and Race rigs heading to and from the track and lake and a single bay auto wash for regular autos.

My questions are (If anyone would be so kind as to answer them):
1) What equipment manufacturer should I be looking at? I don't want the cheapest, I'm looking for the best value.
2) Are there some reference materials or places that have helped you out you would like to share? Ie. books, forums, companies, blog posts.
3) I've seen several places that people are saying not to build RV/truck washes. I'm assuming its because there just aren't enough customers to make it worthwhile. I think in my location with the amount of lakes, racetracks and campgrounds it will survive and that's really what I need. As long as it isn't a money pit and will bring in new customers for our other business I'm okay with that. I also plan on adding storage for RV's, boats, and cars. Or, is there another reason not to build a RV/truck wash?
4) Are there any companies that will do some basic ROI calculations and pre-planning?
5) Any other advice you would like to share I would be very appreciative of.
6) I almost forgot the land is septic and well so I'm not sure if anything special needs to be done because of that.

Thanks for your time
-Ben

MGSMN

Reaction score
I will take a shot at a couple of your questions, FWIW.

1) What equipment manufacturer should I be looking at? I don't want the cheapest, I'm looking for the best value.
-I like Carolina Pride(s) self serve equipment. Well built and easy to work on.

3) I've seen several places that people are saying not to build RV/truck washes. I'm assuming its because there just aren't enough customers to make it worthwhile. I think in my location with the amount of lakes, racetracks and campgrounds it will survive and that's really what I need. As long as it isn't a money pit and will bring in new customers for our other business I'm okay with that. I also plan on adding storage for RV's, boats, and cars. Or, is there another reason not to build a RV/truck wash?
-Many operators just get fed up with the mess that is typically left behind by the vehicles that use this type of self serve bay. The nicer sites I've seen that wash large vehicles have steps and a raised platform on each side of the bay to help the customer reach the high sides of the vehicle.

6) I almost forgot the land is septic and well so I'm not sure if anything special needs to be done because of that.
-I don't know that I've seen a wash using a septic system. If it can be done make sure that it can handle the additional water flow and any sediment that may get past your separation tanks. Hopefully the well is adequate to supply your additional water needs.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
If you insist with a self serve pretty much any manufacture that ends with pride has the best equipment for self serve. (Carolina pride like mentioned above or national pride) I personally think you will be disapointed in the revenue on the SS for what you have to spend as initial investment. Honestly you would be better with just 2 automatic washes and no self serve like a friction and touchfree combo and would go with washworld if you seriously want to do it. The ROI and cash flow just crush the self serve for what its worth you are at the right place to ask questions