What's new

Questions about how to set up the car wash business

tonyleeeee

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to the car wash industry and have no experience. I am planning to run a touchless car wash business. I am wondering if someone can share some experience with me on how to set up the business, such as which permits are needed.

Appreciate it

soonermajic

Reaction score
Only the city u live in can anzwer that. Theyball have different permits. WAY DIFFERENT

Eric H

Reaction score
the city has a map with the different zoning areas. Each area with have different permitted uses. Most will have Residential, Industrial and business zones. A medium to large city will very likely have several different sub groups in each zone, example: residential A and Residential B. “A” might be single family homes only and have an acreage minimum. “B” may be multi family and also include some small businesses.
In my experience, I’ve never found any property in Massachusetts that didn’t require a Carwash to apply to the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) for a Special Permit. Carwashes are allowed in certain zones but by permit only and then must go to the Planning board for final approval after ZBA approval.
An existing Carwash may be Grandfathered for use as a Carwash on a parcel of land if the zoning bylaws changed after the carwash was built. I know one location that the owners special permit is Non-Transferable.

Last edited:

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
First, hire a good lawyer that is familiar with the local codes where you are looking to set up. In New York or New Jersey, they will also need to be adept at knowing which local authorities need to be......ahem.......satisfied and what that will take.