What's new

Question about an Association President

Should a person that has been bankrupt or financial judgements become the ICA Pres?

• Yes

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

pitzerwm

Reaction score
One of our past ICA presidents (not LL) has had a number of ugly legal and financial problems. Someone that thought it was important that an ICA President not be a financial wreck sent me all of the legal filings that go back a long ways.

So I'm running a poll to see what all of you think.

Apparently, now you get on the board and work your way up and someday you are automatically the President.

Should a person that has had a number of financial judgements or bankruptcies against them be allowed to be the President?

Randy

Reaction score
I know who you’re talking about and I know more than I should probably know. In my opinion NO!!! I don’t think the guy should have even been on the board. The ICA should some background checks on the people when come on to the board. I think the individual that you’re talking about a black eye to the ICA. But then again the ICA a good ole boy network.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bankruptcy protection is a part of our country's laws that are in place to protect citizens and it is unforutnate but not shameful or illegal to declare bankruptcy.

That said, the ICA president is,of necessity,a leader. A leader needs a clear vision and the fortitude to carry out his/her plans. Were the circumstances in this case such that this person's character could be considered unscrupulous or (gasp) despicable???

Maybe the answer is 'it depends'. Maybe the specific circumstances are more important than the fact of a bankruptcy filing. Did the person in question break any laws? Deceive people intentionally? Perpetrate a scam?

Almost any person can make a series of poor decisions that lead to insolvency if they are not careful, trust the wrong advisors, or have a string of bad luck.

Need to know more before saying yes or no.:rolleyes:

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I got the impression that they didn't know he had such a checkered past until after he was president. That being said, I'll bet that they have changed the way they pick them from here on out. I wonder why that someone didn't just bring this up on the forum himself :rolleyes: instead of having you do it. IMO, it's far enough in the past that it doesn't warrant being discussed.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I've been a member of the ICA for over 25 years. In the past year or three I've asked myself why...?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
One of our past ICA presidents (not LL) has had a number of ugly legal and financial problems. Someone that thought it was important that an ICA President not be a financial wreck sent me all of the legal filings that go back a long ways.

So I'm running a poll to see what all of you think.

Apparently, now you get on the board and work your way up and someday you are automatically the President.

Should a person that has had a number of financial judgements or bankruptcies against them be allowed to be the President?
Not enough info.

The person himslef could have been the victim of circumstances beyond his control which lead to an inability to pay debts resuting in judgements and the need to file bankruptcy. For instance, a Madoff investor who lost all their money. Family medical issues resulting in huge bills. Hurricane destroying their business.

soapy

Reaction score
I recall someone sending me a link to all of the judgements on this guy. Most were by contractors who had worked on a few washes he built and then never paid them for the work.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
On this particular person the judgements appear to go back to 1994.

I guess my question is more to should the people that are selecting these people to begin with, should have some guide lines as to what is acceptable to be even on the board.

Sure there are situations where you screw up and go under, and there is a difference in my mind, someone that makes a mistake and one that has a string of issues going back for years.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Maybe someone on the board past or present can tell us what the criteria is now.

I don't think that the ICA actually is in that loop.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Maybe this is the kind of person the Ica feels would best represent us --or they wouldn't have elected him.

mac

Reaction score
Please don't tell me this is Barry Boyd.

washnvac

Reaction score
Whoever the person is, they must have voted "yes" in the poll. Who else would say yes?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
This is from the ICA:

International Carwash Association, Inc. is a 501(c)(6) non-profit entity that is governed by a sixteen member board of directors made up exclusively of operator and vendor members. Each year, up to four directors are chosen for a three year term by the Nominations Committee. Nominations for these positions are solicited from the membership; the most recent call went out on July 28th via our Industry News (click here). Officers are also chosen annually by the Nominations Committee, and those individuals serve a one year term.

Additional information about director and officer eligibility and roles are described in the Association’s bylaws, which are available online (click here). The Association also produces an annual report that is distributed at Car Care World Expo. An electronic version can also be found online (click here).

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Well, I was wrong on multiple things- I should be more careful. But I still got the impression the management agency drives the bus. for those of you in the know, am I mistaken about that?

I was quite surprised at who this person was that this thread is started about. I've met him and always thought he was a really nice guy. I wouldn't have thought of running a background check on him, or just about any other board member I've met. In retrospect I would have probably done the same thing the ICA did.

Last edited:

mac

Reaction score
One of the things about some shady people is how they conyinue to operate. I have no idea who this person is we are talking about. I keep coming back to Barry and Shaun Boyd. They are still scamming people because they come off as nice trusted people.