What's new

Quest for Better Windows

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am thinking of adding a window 'pre-clean' step within the 'prep' process of interior cleaning on my Full-Serve detail services.

Currently we save windows for final detailing steps. Our results are great to good. I feel a better method is to add a pre-clean step with a separate towel than used in interior cleaning and glass cleaner. Then in the final window clean, use microfiber and glass cleaner followed by surgical towel and water as my final step.

Thoughts???:cool:

soapy

Reaction score
I use what I think is pretty standard in the detail industry for cleaning windows.
I use micro fiber towels to clean the windows. I buy several different colors of towels. I pick one color to use on windows only. These towels are never washed with other colored towels used for waxes, interiors etc. After a couple of months the windows towels get rotated into the general detail towel inventory and a new color is used for windows. Washing the towels seperatly keeps the slicones and contaminants off the window towels. Inside windows are cleaned with back and forth strokes and outside windows are cleaned up and down. Sprayway window cleaner works for us and I don't think we have ever had a complaint about the windows.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Try using newspaper to remove the glass cleaner. It is an old detail trick that still works well today.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Soapy, I do the same as you except I don't rotate old window towels into regular detailing stock.

rph; i don't like the idea of newspaper because it seems messy and impractical for me personally.

good input; thanks.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
you're probably right. just my lame attempt at some humor from a Sopranos episode.

back then they were washing car windows with granite tablets.:rolleyes:

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I thought I had heard that phrase before. I used to really like the Sopranos.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I'll second rph on the use of newspapers. I learned that trick in boot camp to clean the windows and mirrors of the squad bay. I also see some customers bring newspapers to the wash to clean their windows with. Usually they are former military people who learned it as well.

You're right that it doesn't look good, may even make you look cheap. The results are great though.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
The problem with the newspaper is the ink, get newsprint without the ink and you might be good to go.

soapy

Reaction score
I did read a article on using newspapers and they say the new inks can bleed onto the glass if you use them.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I did read a article on using newspapers and they say the new inks can bleed onto the glass if you use them.
If that's the case, I wonder if you can go to a newspaper printer and see if they have any waste paper from their process which has no ink on it.

MEP001

Reaction score
You can buy blank newsprint from shipping supply companies. It's very cheap.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I have not had a problem with streaking with regular newspaper but if you can get plain newsprint paper it would definitely be less messy on your hands. I used to sell it when I owned a detail supply company so you might even ask them if you use one. I know you can also get it from a packing supply store as well. Either way it should be pretty inexpensive.

Etowah

rongieg

Reaction score
I am thinking of adding a window 'pre-clean' step within the 'prep' process of interior cleaning on my Full-Serve detail services.

Currently we save windows for final detailing steps. Our results are great to good. I feel a better method is to add a pre-clean step with a separate towel than used in interior cleaning and glass cleaner. Then in the final window clean, use microfiber and glass cleaner followed by surgical towel and water as my final step.

Thoughts???:cool:
Waxman, you wrote this in 2007, just curious how your experiment worked? Also, we have tried microfiber and seem to wind up with the small microfiber lint being left behind on the windows. We have been fighting window streaks from the window cleaner and finally settled on water with a touch of vinegar for the final stage.