What's new

Push-in connector replacement

Andy Burn

Reaction score
When I got my wash repaired a couple of years ago, the push-in connectors (circled in red in the attached photo) were used extensively. The issue with these connectors is that over a few month usage they usually start leaking especially the ones that carry soap and water. Any good alternatives?
Regards
Andy

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
I've had the best luck from the plastic John Guest fittings, but I don't use push tubing fittings anymore if I can help it. I use compression fittings.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I use SMC push connects on every LP connection Over 5 years and not a single drip.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I have a few John Guest fittings too...Up to 150 psi connection and not a single drip.

MEP001

Reaction score
I have a few John Guest fittings too...Up to 150 psi connection and not a single drip.
I've used the straight 3/8 x 3/8" on 450 PSI and never had a problem.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Just trying to figure out why the original poster is having trouble with these connectors? The only thing I can think of is the connectors are for metric tubing and they used SAE tubing? The metric connectors we have where I work has a blue release ring like the ones posted?

MEP001

Reaction score
I've never even seen ones with the blue ring. The chromed fitting with the green ring are the worst I've ever seen for leaking.

5/16" is just slightly bigger than 8mm. I would think the larger tubing would seal better, but it could be too large and isn't inserting fully.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Those pictured can be Stainless Steel too? Kinda looks like 3/8 tubing to me? If so, 10mm metric is .394" v/s .375. So just enough to allow it to leak easily. Maybe the OP can tell us what size tubing is being used and verify the tubing matches the connector? But if someone else did the installation, will be hard to tell.

Andy Burn

Reaction score
The connectors are 3/8 tube and 1/4 Male. The tube does match the connectors, however, with time lets say 4-6 months the connectors would start leaking. I had to recently take out the tube, rough it up with the dishwasher sponge and reinstall. This has stopped the leak for now, but not sure for how long it will hold. I am planning to replace these connectors with compression fittings which are good until 200 psi pressure. Any thoughts?

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
The regular compression fittings don't hold well with poly tubing. The tubing is too soft, and if there's pressure it will just blow out of the compression ring. There are fittings with a tube inside so the compression ring has some support inside, but harsh chemicals will eat the tube away, and you're in the same boat. The plastic John Guest push-to-connect fittings are made for poly tubing and work well.

MC3033

Reaction score
I like the metal push locks in certain scenarios but overall I’ve seen more leaks on the fitting with metal bodies.

I do like the ones with the harder plastic shell and metal threads. Comes on the Mr foamer stuff.