What's new

Pumping Methanol Foaming Brush from a 55 Gallon Drum

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Interesting, I think I am going to take a cup of this outside tomorrow and light it on fire. I'm assuming it is not very volatile when mixed with soap. I'll let you know what I find out. Hopefully not from a hospital bed!
I pumped one cup of KR winter antifreeze out with my new Graco air pump set up today and set it on fire with a blow torch. At first I didn' t think it was on fire. But after I held my hand over it, I realized it was on fire. It kind of reminded me of the flaming shots I did in college. This will not stop me from using my new air pump set up. I think there is little to no risk and the pump seems to be working great for this use! Thanks for the help guys.

Randy

Reaction score
I think Kevin might be right. Methanol is some pretty dangerous stuff if it’s not handled correctly, static electricity can set off. Like Buzzie8 said when it burned it burned with a blue/white flame that you can hardly see. Methanol is actually racing fuel that is made from natural gas

bigleo48

Reaction score
I think Kevin might be right. Methanol is some pretty dangerous stuff if it’s not handled correctly, static electricity can set off. Like Buzzie8 said when it burned it burned with a blue/white flame that you can hardly see. Methanol is actually racing fuel that is made from natural gas
I don't think you want to underestimate it, but it is not explosive like gasoline.

People dump it in their cars and all over their engine compartment on a daily basis in the form of -40 windshield washer fluid. I don't think anyone you ask would know that this stuff is flammable.

So seal the container tight so it doesn't evaporate and keep it clear of ignition sources and it should be fine.

MEP001

Reaction score
In general, using an air pump has been the method for me with which there's the least chance of a spill. Having a flammable liquid on the floor and evaporating with a boiler nearby that can come on at any time seems like a bigger problem than any chance of a static charge from an air-operated pump igniting the liquid in the drum.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I spent 5 years using Methanol as fuel for racing. One of the reasons its used is because it is less volitale than gasoline. I'm not quite sure how one could build up enough static electricity using an air operated pump to get methanol to ignite.

Dirt

Laser Blade
Reaction score
Buzzie8,

Glad you got your chemical transfer under control.
Sorry I didn't post those pics, having trouble uploading the files.

Merry Christmas to all.