What's new

Protecting a three phase Air Shammee motor

Etowah

OurTown

Reaction score
We installed a three phase single motor Air Shammee a while back and want to install two more. We had a spare motor starter so that was used in the install. Even the thermal overloads that were already in it were the correct size. Troy Diskin says they have never had an issue installing just a contactor instead. Is overload protection recommended by you guys? If not but a pump motor should be then why? Because the dryer has a fixed load and the pump could experience a higher load because conditions can change in that application? A contactor is only about a tenth of the money of a starter and they are about half the size.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We don't have the "much touted" single 3PH motor for our Blo Drys.

We do have a piggy back overload (18-25amp range) for the contactor that on 2 poles include the two 1PH Domel Motors. We use 2 thinner versions of the Square D circuit breakers so each motor is individually protected at the main panel also. 2 thinner versions fit in one Breaker Slot.

I know you asked specifically about the single motor setup protection & it might be the way to go. Is there any chance that a rogue customer could get the super expensive 3PH motor WET??? That could be a concern it seems. I am not sure if any thermal protection would help much with that type of event.

OurTown

Reaction score
Is there any chance that a rogue customer could get the super expensive 3PH motor WET???
Probably. If we had an attic I would probably put them in there.