What's new

Products

Etowah

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
I know everyone probably has an opinion about products, but I am new to the car wash business and would like some differing opinions. I currently use Turtle Wax products on my 6+1. I have an Armorall rep pestering me about switching. He wants to come and do a walk through of the wash and he is conifident that he can save me alot of money. I'm sure there is a big difference in the quality of soaps, but I noticed that WindTrax sells the JBS products and they are more than half the price of the similar Turtle Wax products. Is there really this big of a swing in quality and price between venders? Any suggestions, or comments?

Thanks,
LighthouseCarWash.

MEP001

Reaction score
First off, you have a marketing advantage in using a product with a well-known name such as Turtle Wax. If you decide to stay with it, you might consider advertising it.

Second, the Armor All rep is a salesman. They'll usually tell you anything to get you to switch. It's pretty good stuff and you'd have the same marketing ability, but I'd be very surprised if it will save you any money.

Third, JBS is less expensive than either, and for a number of reasons, one is that you aren't helping to pay for millions of dollars of advertising that's rolled into the cost of the product.

Whether or not any of it will actually save you money can only be determined by trying it and making sure it's set up properly.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
IMNSHO use the product that works well for the least cost with one exception. Vending certain products with name brands like armor all protectant will outsell the unknowns.

AFAIAC advertising that you use turtle wax soap vs. Armor all Soap, vs an unknown will have little or no effect.

You may be able to check on this simply. Go to the local auto parts store and ask a clerk what sells the best to the do it yourselfer. Their unknown cheaper home car wash soap or the name brands.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I can't count the operators I know who have signs that say they use Armor All or Simonize, but use the cheapest generic brand they can find. Not suggesting that, and I wouldn't do it, but it negates some of the plusses associated with using a name brand.

A wash I built and haven't owned in 7 years, still has a "We use Blue Coral Products" banner hanging on the front wall and I know they haven't used BC in 7 years.

captain cw

Reaction score
Whatever makes you happy. Check for dilution rates. Every chemical salesman will tell you how much money you can save and how horrible everybody else is. I see people successful with no-name products and people doing well with big name products and advertising like crazy. The key is still how well your equipment operates and how clean you keep everything. You can have the best chemicals in the world, but if you don't run your business or have a bad location, then it really does not matter...

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I can't count the operators I know who have signs that say they use Armor All or Simonize, but use the cheapest generic brand they can find. Not suggesting that, and I wouldn't do it, but it negates some of the plusses associated with using a name brand.

A wash I built and haven't owned in 7 years, still has a "We use Blue Coral Products" banner hanging on the front wall and I know they haven't used BC in 7 years.
As long as you are using at least one item made by the particular mfr. advertised I see nothing wrong with displaying the sign. I don't see any potential benefits advertising Blue Coral since they don't have much of a presence in the retail market.

Red Baron

Reaction score
As long as you are using at least one item made by the particular mfr. advertised I see nothing wrong with displaying the sign. I don't see any potential benefits advertising Blue Coral since they don't have much of a presence in the retail market.
Yeah, the owner may be leaving the Blue Coral banner up because after 12 years now the brick may be sun-bleached everywhere else. :)

Randy

Reaction score
I used to use Turtle Wax products and really liked them. The distributor that handled them went out of business and no one in this area sells it any more. Turtle Wax used to be the big dog on the block but after they got a new CEO things changed and they aren?t the big dog any more. I wish they had a distributor in my area I'd still use there products.

crewchief97

Reaction score
I have used the Turtle Wax products for sixteen years now and am very happy and satisfied with them.

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information everyone. The distributor that is trying to get me to switch has almost every other wash in town. I kind of like having something different. I really like Turtle Wax products and they have been associated with washing cars forever, not making shiny dash boards ;)

LighthouseCarWash

washnvac

Reaction score
I wish they had a distributor in my area I'd still use there products.
You can order from Dultmeier. If you have a few washes you can get a bulk order, and they pay the shipping. When I used to get it from them, you had to order $3500 to get a free ship. It may be a bit more now, but it is worth a phone call if you want to use the product.

I did switch to AA after a long run with TW. I like the scents out to the bay a bit better with AA.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Since you say you are new to the business, I would try to stay with the chemicals offered from the service company. That is assuming they are doing a decent job and you aren't paying too big a premium.

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
I agree with CFCW. A good chemical salesman should help you tweak your equipment for peak performance. I am using KR now but I used Blue Coral for the first three years I owned my wash because I liked the salesman.

Regards,
Mel

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I agree with CFCW. A good chemical salesman should help you tweak your equipment for peak performance. I am using KR now but I used Blue Coral for the first three years I owned my wash because I liked the salesman.

Regards,
Mel
But you didn't like him enough to continue paying what? Triple what you pay for KR, or did the salesman leave the company?

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
Earl,

I did not mind paying a premium because of the service and advice I got along with the chemicals. After I gained experience running a carwash, I no longer need his advice so I switched to cheaper soap.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Earl,

I did not mind paying a premium because of the service and advice I got along with the chemicals. After I gained experience running a carwash, I no longer need his advice so I switched to cheaper soap.
BINGO! On the other hand how many operators are still paying double or triple what they need to when they are using little service from suppliers?

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Earl what are you using for a presoak before the car goes into the tunnel?
Are you using KR orange or vanilla creme for the brushes?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I was using Purple passion pre soak in the tunnel and Cherry Blossom Foam soap. One day ran out of the purple passion and told my guy to set up cherry blossom for the pre soak as well. Since it did equaly well, I stopped using the Purple passion in the tunnel. Still use it in the bay. Then I experimented with the KR triple foam products. Seem to clean as well or better than the Cherry Blossom and rinse better. Now switching to that in tunnel foamers at all locations although they will not all be using 3 colors. Will go only with yellow at the single color locations to contrast with Blue Cloth. I also put some foam on the first mitter that the customer sees. I think it makes a good impression to see the sudsy curtains hanging down. I use the same foam soap injected thru demas onto the cloth / foam. Foam dilution is same as foamer dilution with a seperate flo jet to the same make up bucket. Other cloth is fed from same bucket but reduced in dilution thru a dema. I will use the Cherry Blossom for the pre soak and cloth / Foam because it is less expensive in part I guess due to less die in that product.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Do you mix the cherry blossom with 10 gals. of water or pull it straight from the bucket? What tip?
Does the cherry blossom have enough lubricate for the brushes?
I was thinking of using KR sonic soap as the presoak but I like the idea of the cherry scent throughout the tunnel.
I started using the triple foam polish wax from KR in front of my mitters.
It works and looks great. I initially put 5 gals. in a 30 gal. drum. It came out so thick that I now mix it 2-3 gals. per 30 and it still works and looks great, alittle bit more watery but it is easier to rinse off.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Do you mix the cherry blossom with 10 gals. of water or pull it straight from the bucket? What tip?
I was thinking of using KR sonic soap as the presoak but I like the idea of the cherry scent throughout the tunnel.
I started using the triple foam polish wax from KR in front of my mitters.
It works and looks great. I initially put 5 gals. in a 30 gal. drum. It came out so thick that I now mix it 2-3 gals. per 30 and it still works and looks great, alittle bit more watery but it is easier to rinse off.
Good questions. Snce I have different locations with different setups, some different things were needed. I use hydrominders. Where I have a surge tank water is a constant 60 psi. At those locations I ordered the "Ultra Lean Tip Kits" from Kleen rite and can dilute direct from the pail for saops. At others with citty water pressure I have to add water and use a regular hydrominder. While I use the triple foam KR wax, the soap I was referring to was the triple Foam Detergent. Same issues arise with the Triple foam wax. Where I have surge tanks I use the ultra lean tips. At others I have to add water.

Depending on set up I need to make sure it is diluted enough to rinse off. For instance 2 buckets of ater to one of Polish wax and a pink tip on a 511 hydrominder was still too strong so i had to use about 2.5 Buckets of water or it would not rinse off.

Cherry blossom seems to lubricate the cloth and Foam well. Per Dan at Erie Brush all products lubricate best if sprayed on rather than Foamed on.