What's new

Problem with American Changer Change Machine

MarkAllen

Reaction score
I have a AC1005 American Changer with a Universal Hopper. The changer will occaisionally kick out more quarters than what it is suppose to. Also, at times the "Out of Service" light will come on and it will not work but nothing is wrong with it. It did this several months back but I just took the hopper apart and cleaned it real good and it started working better but I believe it may be time to replace the hopper. Can they be repaired and how cheap is it to get repaired? Where can I buy a new one or a re-condtioned one at a really good price?

Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MarkAllen

Reaction score
Yes, I've seen the sight and talked to one of thier sales people but is the problem with the hopper an easy fix, something that I could do myself or am I better off just buying a new or reconditioned hopper?

O

ONEcard

Mark
The Hopper that American uses is the Universal hopper. I have designed equipment using the same hopper style. The patent for this hopper ran out 5 years ago so a lot of manufactures are building a version of it. I found the Suzo hopper to be better. Its more versatile and if you want you can get away from the goofy connector they've got Check out this link for a supplier for them http://happcontrols.com/hoppers/ev1000.htm Its pretty cheap to replace as well about $200.00 I think they use a 24v unit not the 12 v make sure you check your voltage and get the right one

Zack

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Is there a plastic flip cover that can be put on the front of the bill area so wind, dirt debris, rain cannot get into that area?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd pay prompt attention to the problem. Some Americans have a nasty habit of jack-potting.

Randy

Reaction score
Yes they can be repaired. How much do you think is too much to rebuild one? I?ve always considered American changers to be like a Bic lighter, when they don?t work any more toss it and buy another one. There isn?t to much to the hopper to go wrong. I?ve got a used one that I?ve never used that I might part with. Yes there is a generic heavy plastic cover that you can put over the front of the validator to keep out the elements.