What's new

Pricing Woes!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I may become known as someone who always complains about prices. So be it.

some comparisons from my new bill to sonny's catalog:

1. vinyl dressing 5 gal size $102.90 vs. armorall $67.49.

2. clay bar $25.70 vs. $15.99.

3. buffing pads $37.15 each vs. $5.99!

MEP001

Reaction score
They probably have a disclaimer in their catalog that states prices are subject to change. It would be way too expensive to print a new catalog every time they had to adjust prices, and that would just drive them up more.

I'd definitely call them about the buffing pads. It could be a mistake.

Back4More

Equipment & Chem Supplier
Reaction score
Dave,

Don't you order online? Their pricing on the web should be fairly current. When you get time, you really should come by our warehouse.

Ron

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was ordering some things online through Sonny's.

Maybe I will just stick with Sonny's from now on.

This is my main complaint with local distributors; things go along just fine for a time when they are after my business and then at some point prices spike on key items and if I don't sift through every invoice and time goes by I have spent much more than I need to on like-items.

DavidM

Reaction score
A comment on the Sonnys pads. I recently ordered some finishing pads for use with our DA polisher to try out. They are about half the price I have been paying and I like them just as much, if not better. I am going to order some polishing and cutting pads as well. I don't know where Sonny's is getting them but they seem to be good pads.

You are comparing the prices from another company to Sonny's, correct? (as opposed to changes in Sonny's pricing)

David

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
yes, i was comparing a local dist. to sonny's. i know everyone needs to make a living but these discrepancies in price are glaring. for comparable goods it is absurd. after all, i cannot, in my business, charge 700% more for a carwash than a competitor and expect customers to shop with me. it's not right.

MEP001

Reaction score
It did appear as though you were "complaining" about the amounts you were charged on the invoice by Sonny's compared to the prices listed in the Sonny's catalog.

I know from personal experience that local distributors cannot compete with the catalog houses. I was told that Kleen-Rite buys Armor-All sponge packs by the train car load at a time to get the price they do. A lot of distributors can't even come close to getting the same price direct from the manufacturers as they can direct from Kleen-Rite at normal retail.

Back4More

Equipment & Chem Supplier
Reaction score
yes, i was comparing a local dist. to sonny's. i know everyone needs to make a living but these discrepancies in price are glaring. for comparable goods it is absurd. after all, i cannot, in my business, charge 700% more for a carwash than a competitor and expect customers to shop with me. it's not right.
I misunderstood as well. I thought you meant you were caught of guard with a price discrepency from the Sonny's catalog to your invoice.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nope. Once again I had tried a local dist for some detail products. I guess I am being unrealistic and need to adjust my expectations about pricing and the wholesale/retail relationship in general.:eek:

But it really bums me out when I begin to use and like some products and companies and then, as we are building a business relationship, something happens and I feel a little ripped off in the transaction.:(