What's new

pressure

megablast1

Reaction score
I have 1 bay that does not have good pressure at all. I have a small leak at the boom not a large leak at all....any advice what could be the issue?

could it be the pump?

any ideas for me to look at tomorrow

thanks in advance

cdreed06

Reaction score
Do you have a pressure gauge on the pump? Is the belt slipping? It could be a number of things. Is the regulator turned down? Drop in pressure happen suddenly?

megablast1

Reaction score
yes it happened with in the past few days...... the belt seems tight but when it is running it looks loose I thought it may be the belt as well.. I have a gauge on the pump it goes up and down like on a mower when not enough fuel is getting to it...if that makes sense

cdreed06

Reaction score
We had the same problem and it was the belt. Even though it looked ok it would slip enough to cause the pressure to fluctuate. I actually had a replacement belt on hand that I put on and it was dried out I guess and wouldn't work. It had to be tightened pretty tight. Anyway that is what happened with ours.

cdreed06

Reaction score
Geez hit post before proof reading. I bought a new belt that finally fixed it. The replacement I had on hand didn't work out.

megablast1

Reaction score
I am going to try the belt I will have to take it somewhere to have them match it up......I was thinking the belt stretched... if that is not the problem any other things to look at

cdreed06

Reaction score
I'm sure there are several people on here that know a lot more about this than I do. But I did have the same problem with mine. Cat pump, suddenly started acting stupid pressure up and down and no pressure at all at times. I immediately thought the pump was going bad (was really new to this) and tore down the front of it and replaced the seals, kinda rebuilt it. I was really stoked and proud of myself until I started it. Then, same thing. So I watched it run and noticed the belt looked a little loose. It was already at the end of the adjustment so I put on the replacement. I tightened it and it worked great for a day until it started slipping. So, a brand new belt was put on and I haven't had trouble since. The belt is cheap and easy. But I could be totally wrong. I have been before ;)

MEP001

Reaction score
megablast1 said:
when it is running it looks loose
If it looks loose, it's loose.

Fix the leak at the boom.

There is another current thread on this same issue. Read it completely.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Leak at boom. No matter how small will reduce pressure.

Also, make sure tank that feeds pump does not have any restrictions.

megablast1

Reaction score
Well I spent all day looking into this and I have come to the fact that the pump is bad....but I do have another to replace just need to figure out how to do it as it was in another wash bay I bought from a guy and it was not setup like mine... and hey if anyone has this type hooked up can I get a picture of it????? just try to look to see how to hook it up from the old 310 i used

Last edited:

megablast1

Reaction score
I am going to change out the old pump that was a cat 310 to a cat 430...so if that te hook upells you I am confused on the hookup

MEP001

Reaction score
I can't tell from your photos of the 430 about the upper fitting. It might be where spot-free goes in (you never answered whether you have it at your wash) or perhaps weep goes in, or if it was for the high-pressure out. I can only guess that the bottom one was set up for high-pressure out to the bay; you'll have to see which way the check valve is facing on the top one.

If you hook stuff up to the correct manifolds, things will work. On the 310, the bottom (1/2") ports are inlets, the top (3/8") are outlets. On the 430, the manifold closer to the blue crankcase has all the inlets.

For future reference, you do not have an "unloader" on your system. Both pumps in the photos have balanced pressure regulators.

megablast1

Reaction score
I only have rinse, soap, brush soap, wax, pre soak and tire

it is a start thanks for the info I will need to build a new stand for each pump as they go bad as my stand is old and rusty bad, and need to start getting this pump working

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Has anybody here changed from a belt driven Cat pump to a Direct Drive style. I visited a wash today that had a 5CP2120W Cat pump rigged up for Direct drive is this difficult to change-over to this style?

MEP001

Reaction score
It requires a new motor and pump, so it's not just a changeover with what you have and an adaptor.

IMO, there's no advantage to direct drive except for taking up less space.