What's new

Pressure drop at gun- CAT 310 pump

Husker37

Reaction score
Hi all- I've learned a great deal from many on this forum from reading posts over the years, but have never actually posted. I have a problem that I can't seem to solve and I'm hoping that you can help me figure out what I'm missing.

I have a bay that lost pressure slowly over time, and when I finally got around to dealing with it, I found some issues, but still have a problem I can't solve. The bay was pulsating and had very low pressure. I found an air leak on a push to connect fitting that feeds the pump which took care of the pulsating. I know the pump is pretty old and worn and the head is washing out, so I swapped the head with a rebuilt head with new high and low pressure seals and that fixed my overall pressure problem.

Now I have plenty of pressure and no pulsating, but when the gun trigger is depressed the pump pressure drops by about 50% (if I have it regulated to 1500psi, it drops to 700, regulated to 1800 drops to 900, etc.) and it is apparent in the bay that there is a pressure drop.

Things I have tried:
-Swapped gun with a different bay that is working- No change
-Replaced gun/tip to new - No change
-Replaced the regulator/unloader on the pump- No change
-Replaced the check valve at the bay that prevents pressure from bleeding back to low function lines- No change
-Checked water flow to pump and compared to other bays- Gravity fed from overhead- Water flow seems just like other bays
-Swapped out all 6 valves in the pump head to new- No change
-Shut off the ball valve to my weep system to take check valve out of the equation- No change
-Tightened all hose clamps on supply line to ensure no air leaks- No change
-Checked to make sure that my spot free check valve isn't leaking on that bay- Check valve good

I'm at a loss of where to go next. I'm running a CAT 310 pump on a D&S mini stack setup. I've attached a picture of my pump setup to show all connections and regulator setup.

I've had many similar problems over the years and have been able to figure them out. I am wondering if I'm overlooking something simple here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
You could have a bad regulator even though it's new. Normally I would test it by pinching off the bypass hose but the way it's plumbed there isn't one.

There may be a weep check valve on the other side - if that's bad, your pressure could be lost through it.

Husker37

Reaction score
The pump outlet goes into the regulator, through the regulator, and to the bay. Regulator was replaced with a like for like with the same fluid path. The regulator is there, just hard to see in the picture as it sits behind the blue hose.

MEP001

Reaction score
The pump outlet goes into the regulator, through the regulator, and to the bay. Regulator was replaced with a like for like with the same fluid path. The regulator is there, just hard to see in the picture as it sits behind the blue hose.
Sorry, you replied to a post I edited. I didn't see the regulator at first.

Husker37

Reaction score
Thanks MEP. I can try swapping the regulator again.

I do have a weep check valve, but I have installed ball valves inline so I can anti-freeze and shut down certain bays in the winter, so I've got it valved out of the system right now.

I appreciate the ideas!

Randy

Reaction score
He's got a pump head problem. Been there and done that

Husker37

Reaction score
Yep, Randy strikes yet again and calls the problem. He had me swap heads on two of my pumps and the problem followed the head. Haven't had a chance to dig into the head yet to see exactly what is wrong, but Randy got me down the right path.

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated!