What's new

preping cars at automatic

Wash-A-Roo

Living off .25$
Reaction score
I've built a low pressure prep unit for employees. does anyone have a hp prep unit for there automatic? something like what express tunnels use. How much do they cost? is there a cheap alternative for a hp unit that is electric other than buying a pressure washer from lowes? thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
There's nothing to a prep unit. All you need is a frame on which you mount a pump and motor, a switch to turn it on and off, a supply of water and soap if desired and the plumbing/regulator. Depending mainly on the source of the stand, you could put something together easily under $1,500, and it should last for years running all day every day.

In my opinion, only a fool would use a pressure washer from Lowe's for any commercial duty application. They aren't built to last, and if you admit it was used comercially when you need warranty work, they may decline it.

MikeV

Reaction score
I never prep at my automatic, I would not suggest anyone doing it unless you are going to do it 24/7. Customers get accustomed to prepping and won't come in if there is not a prep person there. Also, my auto does a good enough job, I don't need to prep. If a vehicle is so dirty that it needs extra work, I suggest that the customer use the hand bay first.

Wash-A-Roo

Living off .25$
Reaction score
lets try to stay on topic here....if u want to start your own thread feel free to. thanks mep for the educated answer. on the prep units how can u make the motor turn off when the trigger is not being pulled, like on a electric pw. or is it possible. I have some spare motors and pumps from a old self serve I could use those.

mac

Reaction score
All the catalogues have either flow or pressure switches that will turn the pump on for you. When everyone's sales are down, trying new ideas is always a good idea.

MEP001

Reaction score
You can use a flow-actuated switch and a triggerless gun - the switch will have a port for city-pressure water in, or you can tee in below it with a check valve. When the trigger is pulled, the water flow trips the switch which will turn on the pump. You'll need a time-delay relay to keep the motor running for a predetermined time so it doesn't start and stop too much. I've set up a few prep stands for tunnels, and the preferred method was to time it so the pump wouldn't shut off between cars. You likely wouldn't need it on that long for automatic-prepping. Others wanted a simple on/off switch near the wand holder with a time delay to turn off the pump in case an employee forgot.

Telemechanique has a neat little time delay unit that clips right into the top of an LR2D contactor which makes for a tidy installation.

Wash-A-Roo

Living off .25$
Reaction score
thanks guys. I've never built a pressure washer before. i've got a extra motor and pump and im a dummy when it comes to wiring things up. does anyone have a diagram on building a prep station. I would like it if when they pull the trigger it comes on and when they let go of the trigger it shuts off. just not sure how to go about wiring the pump to plug into a wall and stuff like that. Can i get a flow switch from dultmier part # ip103011 and wire it with the pump to shut on and off. just guessing here

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
The one I've seen used most often is the IPFS8. The IP103011 may last longer given the much higher price.

Wiring would be fairly simple - you'd use the flow switch triggered by water pressure to close a time-delay relay, which would start the pump. Releasing the trigger will open the switch circuit, and at your preset time the pump will stop. You should use some sort of delay circuit, otherwise the pump may have to start and stop much more than necessary which will shorten the life of the contactor and motor.

Wash-A-Roo

Living off .25$
Reaction score
the direct drive hp washers on dultmier looks like a good option to me. its electric and im sure it shuts down when u let go of the trigger.