What's new

Pre-Authorization signage

Bill Manke

Reaction score
Anyone have a good sign stating how pre-authorization for credit card works at your wash? I have thought about this for along time but just don't seem to find the right wording.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Have you looked at your local gas stations? They usually have some type of wording on their pumps that explain the process.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I copied the wording from Dave DuGoff's web site and changed it to fit my wash. I think he said it as well as anyone could. Even then, it's still wordy enough that most people won't read it. Here it is.

CREDIT/DEBIT CARD USERS

Our credit card system allows you to buy as much time as you would like to use. It places a “pre-authorization” or “pending” amount of $20 on your credit card or debit card account. You may see it on your account. Once the actual amount has cleared, the $20 pre-authorization falls off and you will see the correct charge. This may take more than a day and is a function of the banking system and is not in the control of XYZ Car Wash.

Randy

Reaction score
Pat, that is a great sign it says it all. Do you have this sign on every bay that takes credit cards? How big are the signs or are they a small sticker?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I guess I should have made myself clear. I didn't put that on a sign. I printed it out and made some copies so I could hand it to a customer if they questioned me or my attendants. We probably haven't used but two or three since most of the inquiries are over the phone. The calls eventually dwindled down to a trickle and I see no need to put up a sign and make people afraid to swipe their card. You need to keep in mind that however it's worded some people will never get it and only read that you are charging them 20 bucks. You will run the chance of the signs costing you some business. I wouldn't put up a sign if it were me.