What's new

Posting Competition's Prices

bigleo48

Reaction score
All,

I 'm making a flyer basically showing our IBA prices vs 'Big Oil' that would be handed out to customers. It will show that we are cheaper and in some cases substantially.

A couple of legal questions. First, I'm comparing wash packages that are similar (basic, regular & complete). They are not exactly the same, but very close. Second, is there a problem mentioning their names in this flyer (Exxon, Chevron, etc)?

Obviously the ad's wording is slanted in our favor, but printed prices are accurate.

Anybody have a problem or comment on what I'm doing?

BigLeo

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Exercise Caution

Careful!!! Since you asked, I'll offer my thoughts:

An effective way to achieve what you're attempting is to say "US... Versus The OTHER GUYS", and then you can paint with a much broader brush.:cool:

You can also use the term "major oil companies" without risk, but if you specifically use their trade style... and they choose to react, it may cost you a legal fee simply to cease & desist. :mad:

As well, if you misrepresent pricing and it's direct association with products, you may also be sanctioned if they other guy can prove lost revenue as a direct result of your advertising. By generally saying their prices are higher... or you offer greater value is fine. But departing from generalities and targeting specifics puts you at risk unless you can prove identical products & services in your comparison. :(

Besides, why go down that road... when you should be distinguishing YOUR operation. You seldom get ahead by standing on the shoulders of someone else to elevate your own cause. It simply draws attention to both of you, and you risk being the spoiler. I suggest that you not go there. :confused:

Your own definition of "not exactly the same, but very close"... should cause you to pause and take a more sensible approach. ;)

BigLeo, by starting a ****ing match, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Just a few well-intentioned thoughts...

bigleo48

Reaction score
Steve,

Thanks for that...it's all good info.

What I'm trying to show (more than anything else) is that our wash includes the sales tax, while Big Oil charges it over and above the posted price. This has never been a big issue as the tax is 5%. However, carwashing in my district is going up to 13% next year and so I want to start planting some seeds in my customers heads when they see my prices go up reflecting the new tax we need to collect.

With regards to the "not exactly the same" comment, I was just trying to show that they are similar washes. For example, for a basic wash, I have spot free final rinse, they do not, one has two soap passes, I do not, I have longer dryer times than they do. So a basic wash is not exactly the same at all washes.

Personally, I don't think they'd care or even notice as they are huge national chains and I'm a single location and that this is going out to my customers only. It is a small risk, but perhaps worth it. I figure the least they would do is tell me to stop (I'd be really surprised at that) and perhaps turn it into a publicity stunt for some free advertising.

BigLeo

Chiefs

Reaction score
Feature your services. Explain what the customer is getting and why in your humble opinion your offerings are better and a better value. Empower them to compare you against the competition and let the chips fall where they may. Also, some may not be aware of your market area's competitors. Why draw their attention to your competition?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
here's what i'd do;

emphasize all the value your wash offers; tax included; no hidden fees!

high-quality carwash, damage free, guaranteed.

local, family owned business.

greenest way to wash.

gear it towards women.

i learned all these at ica.

leave the info re; competitors out. there are many ways to say you're better and cheaper w/out saying anything negative about anybody!

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Grocery stores do this every day, the "shopping cart comparison" - they often even have a cart/basket full of the items and a chart of competitors names and prices right there in the entrance foyer.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
If you are going to compare your wash to in-bay/gasoline segment, I would do so on the basis of value proposition. In other words, what attributes and benefits do you offer that are clearly superior to the competition?

Is your wash process faster? Do you produce a cleaner, shinier or dryer vehicle? Do you offer more services per wash selection? Do you have a more convenient location? Are you open longer hours? Do you offer more amenities like vacuums, vending or surveillance cameras? Is your wash-bay cleaner, brighter and have no pit odor? Is there a difference in technology like foam cleaning materials, touch-less, wheel blasters, under-carriage? Do you offer scented soap? Do you accept cash/credit/debt cards at the POS versus what they have to offer? Do you offer a loyalty program that rewards frequent customers? Is your site attended? Do you have a website? Etc.

As you can see, there are many ways to distinquish your offering from the competition that has nothing to do with price.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Ignore all others. Focus on Yourself!

:confused: Shopping carts compare consumer-packaged products that are quantifiable and regulated, something much different than the subjective discussion here.

As for "Big Oil", major oil companies no longer own and operate carwashes in the United States; just motor fuels & related products. :eek: They divested themselves of all company-owned operations and sold most of them to their motor fuel distributors who own & operate their own facilities. They are more likely to take exception to brand devaluation since it hits much closer to home.

Focus on distinguishing your own brand; YOU! :)

I recommend against it but... if you insist on showing the disparity of the sales tax issue, purchase a carwash from your competitor and get a receipt. Then, show a side-by-side comparison that demonstrates your inclusion of tax. However, it risks sounding like a whiner, and nobody likes that. :mad:

Enough said?

bigleo48

Reaction score
Guys...thanks for all that!

Robert...I do all that and have signs indicating it (not just saying it, but I truly do). I have my own sign making equipment and do post positive signs everywhere. We are reaping the benefits from all this. I guess I want to make sure I don't leave any stone unturned. The flyer I am mentioning on one side shows a "Real Price Comparison" and on the flip side, all the benefits from using my wash. But the general sentiment is that the pricing is all the same and that is just not so and I want to change that perception.

I understand that price is not these most important factor, however its a big one and I want to clear up the pricing difference between us and Big Oil.

Finally, the three Big Oil companies stores here are still corporate owned with "Store Managers/Partners " (should read "underpaid, overworked, glorified attendant"). I'm aware that it's starting to change, but has yet to reach my location.

BigLeo

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you really need to compare price structures just say: "Unlike some carwashes, BIGleo's always includes sales tax in the price, so the price we post is what you pay. We realize that quality, value and honesty are important to you! Bigleo's promises to focus on giving you more of what you want in a carwash."

bigleo48

Reaction score
Waxman

Now I like that! That's why I post this stuff.

BigLeo