What's new

Polishing a Boat Hull that's gone dull

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I have a boat hull that I need to get cleaned up for a client that wants to sell his boat. The 2 tone (blue/purple) is really faded, and I'm looking for tips on the best way to get it cleaned up. I would think that the best way to start off would be with some type of abrasive rubbing compound and then a few coats of wax.

What are your thoughts?

Am I even on the right track?

Thanks in advance!

pcb

Leprechaun Car Wash
Reaction score
I would use a rotary with meguire's 105 and a wool pad to start if it's really bad. Then just polish it out and put a wax or sealer on it.

Mitch

Reaction score
3M super duty compound with high speed buffer. Polish with foam pad, then wax or sealer.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I have hand waxed 100's of cars, but have very little experience with a buffer. What are some tips that will keep me from having to do an expensive repair?

Also, where can I pick up these compounds fairly easily? I have to get this job done tomorrow and the guy is paying premium...

soapy

Reaction score
Most automotive paint stores will carry polishing compounds. Gel Coat like that on a boat are harder than paint on a car. It takes a lot more time and a more agressive polish to clean up gel coat. It is almost impossible to buff a gel coat by hand.

pcb

Leprechaun Car Wash
Reaction score
Like Soapy said the gel coat is hard as a rock. You'll need some form of buffer to cut through it. It will give you chance to practice without having to be quite as careful. Of course you can mess it up but with gel coat you'll have alot more forgiveness. When you start you'll see that you've got to get fairly aggressive with it if it's in bad shape.

Once you get the oxidation off it should polish up fairly easily but the key is to get all the oxidation off. Then just handle like any other vehicle.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Be sure and wear proper breathing protection when using compounds with a rotary buffer. 3M Super Duty is a nice heavy cut and it can irritate your respiratory system. Stay healthy; it is a big project with lots of slinging compound around.:p

buda

Reaction score
Gel coats are not a mystery. From a detailer's point of view they are like a single stage paint, they oxidize.

So, what you are dealing with is oxidation. To correct oxidation you need:

a. Rotary Buffer

b. Cutting pads:
Woven Wool
Poly/Wool
Foam

c. Compounds
800 grit - heavy
1200 grit - medium
2000 grit - light
Micro Fine

Which pad and which compound you use depends on the severity of the problem, in this case oxidation. If you are absolutely not sure then use the least aggressive pad, a foam cutting pad and the least aggressive compound, the microfine. If that does not work then use the same compound but with a more aggressive pad, in this case, the poly wool pad. If that does not work then go to the 2000 grit compound and the foam cutting pad. If that does not work then use the 2000 compound with the poly/wool pad.

This is the process you follow, taking the least aggressive step until you find what works with the least amount of damage to the surface.

This is especially important for someone who has not too much experience with buffers.

Hope that helps

Very difficult for someone to tell you what pad and what compound to use without seeing the extent of the problem. Not all problems are the same.

Regards
Bud Abraham