What's new

phantom vac

mikeexpress

Reaction score
I have a vac that will work on and off at times. it has the microswitch coin acceptor. i have replaced the switch, have also replaced the timer. motors are good. what will happen is customer will put money in it and it does not startsometimes you can hear the motors acting like they are going to run but they dont. checked all fittings ran $4 thru it and started and ran 1st customer put money in it and would not start.Im lost and need the help of the experts here. MIKE

MEP001

Reaction score
Try swapping the components one at a time to different vacuums to see if the problem moves. Check all the main wiring connections for polarity and that nothing is loose or corroded.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Did you read my recent article in PC&D? It may help. Due to the coin acceptor mentioned I am guessing you have a 24 Volt transformer and relay. If it sounds like a motor is trying to start the relay may be making momentary contact. There also may be an issue of connections corroded over time. Check voltage into and out of transformer. After correct # of coins are deposited check voltage out of relay. If good and steady, replace motors.

If you find the problem, please report back . You never know when someone else will have same issues.

Randy

Reaction score
Pictures of your set up would be nice.

Vacuum electrical systems are about has simple has it gets. There?s not a whole lot to the system, it?s normally something very simple.

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
Do you have a mercury relay that accepts the load from the motors?

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
If you've already replaced the timer and microswitch with known good components, then your only other avenue to investigate is the wiring or motors. Are the motors powered directly off the timer or are you using the timer to drive a relay that in turn drives the motors?

MEP001

Reaction score
Dan kamsickas said:
If you've already replaced the timer and microswitch with known good components, then your only other avenue to investigate is the wiring or motors.
The only way to determine for certain if these components are good is to swap them to another unit.

mikeexpress

Reaction score
a thought on the problem with the vac could there be a flat spot on the brush or motor armature? especially the first motor that will start

MEP001

Reaction score
Change the damn motors already. If it works, throw out the old ones.

washnvac

Reaction score
Check the main feed where it connects to your vac wiring. I have had this happen frequently over time. The hot or neutral corrodes, but there is a few strands still intact. This will give you correct voltage readings, but there is not enough good connection to run the load. I drove myself crazy over this a couple of times. Now that is the first place I check. You can also jump the load directly to the timer hot to check it. Very seldom is it the timer for me. I have only replaced a total of three timers in 12 years on 28 vacs. That is pretty reliable I'd say!