What's new

pet urine smell

Stuart

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a little out of my realm here (I am self serve knowhow) so I thought I would ask the experts. My daughter is looking at a used car. All looks great except a urine stench of the interior. What are some methods to rid this smell? All input is appreciated. Thank You.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
You need to use a ultraviolet light to locate where the urine stain is located. It will show up as a white spot. Use your nose to verify, it will be very obvious when you get right up on the spot. Then you need to go to the pet supply store and get some urine neutralizer. Read the directions carefully. Do not shampoo the areas treated until the neutralizer has completely done its work and dried. I prefer the Natures Miracle brand of neutralizer.

buda

Reaction score
The ultra violet light is a good suggestion to locate the urine but you then have to get it out. You don't know if it penetrated the carpet and got into the backing. If it is the you have to remove carpeting and eliminate the odor there to.

You do have to eliminate the smell by neutralizing the urine with the appropriate chemical and you should probably have an ozone generator put in the vehicle after all of the above.

But with this said why would the sellers have not gotten rid of the odor in the first place? How many times did the dog urinate in the vehicle? I'm inclined to tell you to tell the sellers to get rid of the odor and then you'll buy the car.