What's new

PDQ Laserwash 400 too wide/too close, right side

DbltheBbls

Reaction score
Our laser is measuring inconsistent on the right side. It was measuring too wide for awhile, now too close where it's knocking into mirrors. We've replaced the Virtual Treadle board and the Prox switch. Our service company is telling us it may be the sonic box (the box mounted on the right side on the wall that measures) that needs to be replaced and that we'll need to replace both sides as our box is an older model and has been replaced by a newer model.($$$) It's all of 4 years old! The tech put his hand on the face of the sonic sensor and could feel the left one fine (the vibration?) but said the right was weak. Does this make sense?

Last edited:

lag

Reaction score
A little more info may be helpful.. on the first pass does the arch stop at the front of the car inline with the passenger side? if not where is it stopping on the first pass. Do you have gattlings that could be interfering with the ultrasonic?

The transducer of the ultrasonic is what the tech was feeling,or listening for. If it has a faint sound it may be on its last leg,but you could possibly compensate with vt board arch buffer settings,or width settings in the A5000.

This company makes the car wash ultrasonics ,and may be able to send you in the right direction, to get a replacement. I have never contacted them .We pulled all our VT 's out. but may be worth a phone call.

http://www.apgsensors.com/ultrasonic-sensor/iru-2000-3000.html

DbltheBbls

Reaction score
A little more info may be helpful.. on the first pass does the arch stop at the front of the car inline with the passenger side? if not where is it stopping on the first pass. Do you have gattlings that could be interfering with the ultrasonic?

The transducer of the ultrasonic is what the tech was feeling,or listening for. If it has a faint sound it may be on its last leg,but you could possibly compensate with vt board arch buffer settings,or width settings in the A5000.

This company makes the car wash ultrasonics ,and may be able to send you in the right direction, to get a replacement. I have never contacted them .We pulled all our VT 's out. but may be worth a phone call.

http://www.apgsensors.com/ultrasonic-sensor/iru-2000-3000.html
I think ther arch stops pretty well inline, then of course it rotates 90 degrees, and moves on down the side. When the arch goes across the front, should it stop inline with the side BEFORE it rotates? It makes a perfect rectangle around the car except on the driver's side it's either too wide or too close, sometimes perfect.

lag

Reaction score
Are we speaking of the drivers side ,or passenger side? On a LW 4000 The right side is considered passenger side,and the left side is considered drivers side.

My question refers to the passengers side. on the first pass when the trolley moves to the drivers side across the front it will stop for a moment,and should be inline with the passengers side of the car. It then proceeds to the drivers side.

Is your problem drivers side ,or passengers side?

DbltheBbls

Reaction score
Are we speaking of the drivers side ,or passenger side? On a LW 4000 The right side is considered passenger side,and the left side is considered drivers side.

My question refers to the passengers side. on the first pass when the trolley moves to the drivers side across the front it will stop for a moment,and should be inline with the passengers side of the car. It then proceeds to the drivers side.

Is your problem drivers side ,or passengers side?
Passenger side.

lag

Reaction score
I always look at the first pass,as the trolley begins to move across the front of the car.

the trolley will start to move across the front of the car, then stops for a moment, at this point the arm should be lined up with the passengers side.

If it stops at the front of the car correctly,and then,when washing the passengers side goes wide ,or close ,it is a counting problem (x30)

As it moves across the front on the first pass,and the trolley does not stop,witht the arm inline with the passengers side, then I would consider it a sonar problem.

teamplex65

Reaction score
APG will sell to you directly now since PDQ abandoned that sensor. It will blow your mind when APG gives you the price to buy direct if you have ever bought one from PDQ.

tobaccofarmer

Reaction score
I would like to get this post going again! I am having similar problems with the virtual treadle on laser 4000. I am isolating the x30 input back to jo with external wire and shielded prox cord and new prox, but my question is as follows. When the wash begins and the arch moves off home flag it only moves off a few inches and doesnt line up with passenger front bumper at all its always way far away. Is the arch supposed to move over to and line up with front passenger bumper all the time no matter what the arch buffer setting is? I currently have five leds lit on the right (passenger side) for arch buffer, if I take one off and go with 4 leds the arm is way too close to car almost touching it. The one led difference in arch buffer setting makes the difference from way too close to way too far away? I have most current software in VT board and have the old style blue sonics? I was wondering if someone could explain what the processes are from the time the wash begins and arch begins to move? Thanks everyone

Mike

Reaction score
I would like to get this post going again! I am having similar problems with the virtual treadle on laser 4000. I am isolating the x30 input back to jo with external wire and shielded prox cord and new prox, but my question is as follows. When the wash begins and the arch moves off home flag it only moves off a few inches and doesnt line up with passenger front bumper at all its always way far away. Is the arch supposed to move over to and line up with front passenger bumper all the time no matter what the arch buffer setting is? I currently have five leds lit on the right (passenger side) for arch buffer, if I take one off and go with 4 leds the arm is way too close to car almost touching it. The one led difference in arch buffer setting makes the difference from way too close to way too far away? I have most current software in VT board and have the old style blue sonics? I was wondering if someone could explain what the processes are from the time the wash begins and arch begins to move? Thanks everyone
Yes the arch should line up with the front corner of the car on the first pass.

The calibration of the arch during the vt set up can effect how many leds you need on the arch buffers.

Call me and i will explain how the process works. Its a bit long to put into a post here.

Regards
Mike