What's new

PDQ Laser 4000

Etowah

jsoriano

Reaction score
Hi, we have a PDQ L4000 that is doing a great job for many years. Our only downside with that machine are the dryers. They are not moving anymore and barely drying cars.

We are planning to replace them with outside stand by dryers but before that we would like to perform a "tune up" to our machine. We know, for example the low pressure pump need to be replaced and trolley gear box is getting bad too. We need a new set of rollers and since we have docking dryers we are stuck with PDQ parts (Kleenrite have regular ones only) What else do you suggest to replace before breaking it?

We want to put on paper the pros and cons about rebuilding our machine or change it for new one.

Thanks

fastlx

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the PDQ L4000 is the same as my WW HV. I've replaced both the low pressure pump and the gear box. About $1500 for the parts from WW. ( labor is free since I'm the mechanic). You have to do the math if the ROI is worth buying a new unit or fixing the one you have.

PEI

Reaction score
Docking Dryer rollers are different from bridge and trolley rollers. They require bearings for the extra weight.

If you are considering improvements, then think about a replacement stainless bridge from PDQ. They are about $30,000 dollars and come with all new motors, gearboxes, covers, festoon cables, rollers, and J2. Otherwise focus on getting the pump station working properly.

If it doesn't have it. You should also look to upgrade to version 20.0C software and a Virtual Treadle.

jsoriano

Reaction score
When I was rebuilding a 4000 bridge I bought a bunch of rollers from Kleen-Rite and they wouldn’t fit. I couldn’t use them. It’s been too long now so I don’t remember what the exact issue was. I think they were a tad long. Maybe just a bad run.
Hi, I replaced the rollers already. WW rollers worked and was almost 40% cheaper than PDQ ones.

jsoriano

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the PDQ L4000 is the same as my WW HV. I've replaced both the low pressure pump and the gear box. About $1500 for the parts from WW. ( labor is free since I'm the mechanic). You have to do the math if the ROI is worth buying a new unit or fixing the one you have.
Hi, we fixed the LP pump and all the other small issues and machine is working great.

Said that, our next issues are dryers, they are not drying enough and customers complain all the time. We are thinking to replace them with stand dryers, ho are the WW dryers? since we still have in mind to replace our machine with a WW maybe we use theirs.
Thanks

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why not just get rid of the docking dryers and use a freestanding dryer set up from the dryer pros?

washallday

Reaction score
I am in a cold weather climate. If i go with outside dryers my bay temp will drop and then the weep will come on. The days it stays cold around 20 degs for 4 to 5 days sometime my outer bay will not stay warm enough to keep weep from coming on. This is why I haven't gone with outside dryers.

Etowah