What's new

PDQ Access Screen RIP

wash247

Craptastically Divine
Reaction score
Over the past two weeks the screen on my PDQ Access paystation has slowly become dim. Last night I went to the wash and there was no backlight. The screen itself seems to be okay, but the lighting source is out. What are my options? Do you have to replace the entire part (which includes keypad), screen itself, or is the lighting replacable? I've seen online where you can "repair" LCD backlights using cold cathode but if anyone can offer any advice or part # I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Reaction score
probably just needs the inverter board. Ive gone through 5 or 6 here (we have 11 access units)
its supply's the power to light the screen.

it could be the screen Ive had to replace one here, but its usually the inverter board. when I was with the distributor I had definitely changed my share of inverters but never a screen. just my 2cents

p.s the screen and keyboard are separate.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I will also say that I have had luck finding much cheaper credit card readers, and other parts . but unfortunately I could not find cheaper lcd screens even if I bought ten at a whack I could only get a few dollars cheaper than what I pay from my distributor.
its a sharp brand screen probably used in atm's all over the world just couldn't find a bargain but Im gonna keep hunting.

im working on locating a supplier for the inverter board right now. the manufacturer gave me 4 distributors to try Ill PM you if the pricing is good.
hopefully It will be. I used to pay 180 bucks for the cc readers. I get them now with a conformal coating (water resistance) which is better than the ones pdq stocks , 80 bucks a piece.

Gabriel

Reaction score
The strange revelation is that Major Wash manufacturers do not really make much of anything. They just build a frame and outsource everything else. More often than not you can locate the source or some a source that can supply better options at a cheaper price. It takes some doing, but it is doable. Keep the search going.

jcollins

Reaction score
It does sound like the inverter board has faulted. There was a bad batch of inverter boards that went out in production about a year or so ago. They had inferior capacitors on them, PDQ sent out a bulletin on this and warrantied replacement of these inverter boards in all affected Accesses at that time. Now I don't know if your Access fell in that affected batch and didn't get the board replaced, but your distributor could look at the inverter board's capacitors and know if it can be warrantied or not.
If you try to replace it yourself, be very cautious! The inverter board converts 24 volts to a much higher voltage for the backlight in the screen. There is a potential for a good shock even with the power off (capacitors).

wash247

Craptastically Divine
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help! I went to my distributor who recommended that I should replace the screen for the WHOPPING price of $700+! I told them that I was recommended to only replace the inverter board at the cost of $40. They still recommended the screen but I went with the information you provided and only purchased the inverter. Since my distributor refuses to issue refunds on "electronics" I would of been screwed. Spending $700, installing, and finding out it was the inverter and being stuck unable to return it was something I'm glad I didn't have to deal with on a Friday. Thanks again for all your help! You just saved me $660+ in one day!

carwashn4fun

Reaction score
pdq access inverter boards

Did you find a source for the Inverter boards?

I will also say that I have had luck finding much cheaper credit card readers, and other parts . but unfortunately I could not find cheaper lcd screens even if I bought ten at a whack I could only get a few dollars cheaper than what I pay from my distributor.
its a sharp brand screen probably used in atm's all over the world just couldn't find a bargain but Im gonna keep hunting.

im working on locating a supplier for the inverter board right now. the manufacturer gave me 4 distributors to try Ill PM you if the pricing is good.
hopefully It will be. I used to pay 180 bucks for the cc readers. I get them now with a conformal coating (water resistance) which is better than the ones pdq stocks , 80 bucks a piece.

JustClean

Reaction score
You just saved me $660+ in one day!
Let me all tell you a story about big business:
I have two automatic sliding doors at my IBA. One day one of the doors didn't open.
I pulled the board out and discovered that although voltage went into the board none of the components seemed to get anything. I am not an electrician but I believed it was only a minor problem. First I asked the distributor how much it was to repair. The answer: No repair - just replacement. Although I didn't like the idea as it really only looked like a small problem I asked for the price - just $1,100!!!!

I told him that I was not prepared to outlay so much money yet and asked if they had any circuit diagrams that my local electronic person could have a look at it. I was told the head office in Sweden would not give out any diagrams and that this was the only option I had. Great news!

I contacted the head office in Sweden but they plainly refused any help and sent me back to my distributor to buy a new board.

I then went on Google and looked for "how to fight big corporations" and got some good advice. Here is what I did: I wrote everything down, put it on a Google Groups website and sent the link to the CEO of the company "in case he cared". The next morning I got a phone call from my distributor apologizing for the trouble and offering me a board for $XXX (I am not allowed to tell you). I was a great price but I refused since my guy had already repaired the old one.

But this shows that even the little guy can do something against those big bullies. Sorry to be off topic...