What's new

Pc software camara system

aca carwash 2

Reaction score
Currently I have 3 cameras at my location that are pretty mediocre. I would
love to upgrade my cameras and also tie it into a pc to watch from home. Any suggestions or input on the cameras or software? What should I look for when shopping? How do I tell a quality picture camera from a piece of junk? How much does LOR have to do with the quality? Any input would be appreciated.

MEP001

Reaction score
You can build a PC-based DVR very cheap by sticking a card and software into a $400 WalMart computer. There are also standalone DVRs that can plug directly into an internet router that let you access video from another location. In both cases the software is usually provided by the manufacturer of the hardware. You can usually find video and still picture samples on their respective websites.

aca carwash 2

Reaction score
Thanks MEP....any suggestions on manufactures to check out? I have a security cameras direct catalog, ever heard of them?

Louise

Reaction score
I have Luxriot software to watch my cameras from home or any computer andywhere in the world (and soon from cell phone). Their software is easy to use and the tech support is perfect. I would highly recommend them.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Gotta be careful with just putting a DVR card in any PC. Some cards don't work well with some chipsets and you could run into trouble.

If your not a geek, I would suggest buying a premade system. Like anything else, quality comes at a price. I have been using Geovision cards for 5 years now and happy with them. However, you need decent cameras and a good frame rate

Also you mention 3 cameras, I think when you start watching the wash from home or your smartphone, your gonna want more, so don't buy a 4 camera system, but go to an 8 or more. I have 30 over two systems at the same location. Not much goes on without me knowing about it :)

Big

Etowah

Louise

Reaction score
Yes, I agree with Big Leo. You will want more cameras once you see what they can do for you as far as spotting problems and keeping an eye on the place. I have 13 and could use one or two more. They have more than paid for themselves.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I'm looking at adding this one to my existing 16 camera system. Its only $1250.00.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=482274

The XSC1-16CH-600 is an Internet-accessible 16 channel security system that features iPhone and BlackBerry compatibility, triplex operation and cutting edge H.264 video compression. Ideal for large properties, this feature-rich system includes 16 high-resolution night vision cameras, a built-in 500GB hard drive and 8 extra extension wires for ultimate mounting flexibility. This smart DVR can be setup for remote Internet viewing, making it easy to check in from home, the office, or even overseas. Receive email alerts when motion is detected or a power loss occurs; backup and transfer footage using the built-in USB port; set different hourly and daily recording schedules; and find specific video clips easily with time, date and event search.

aca carwash 2

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. One thing is for sure, im not a geek. Wish I was. What is the first thing I need to do? Get a nvr? Get the cameras? Get the software? Where do I get the software? Im green as grass on this one. I went on the LUXRIOT website but have no idea what I am looking for.

Any golf questions I can help, im geek on that.

Kirb

Reaction score
Which produces a better quality a DVR or computer based camera system?
Thanks,
Kirb

Kenny Hicks

Reaction score
Washmee--Please be careful of this Sams Club system. This system is junk. and if you trust an ad which states you will get 8 years of video storage on 500gb, well good luck with that.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Bought One of these
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11489849&search=Q see&Mo=6&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=Q see&Ntt=Q see&No=5&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Liked it so much bought 3 more.

Price is $900.00 with 16 cameras. Upgrades were easy. It is set up to simply drop in (Ok a couple of screws ) a DVD writer and a second hard drive. Also upgraded 1 or 2 cameras at each location to get sound. Each unit will handle up to 4 sound cameras.

Also bought a large computer monitor at Costco and some inexpensive computer speakers at radio shack. You need the type of speakers that plug into an electrical outlet if you don't use a TV for the monitor because the unit does not amplify it's own sound output.

Q See has tons of accessories - cables and cameras available on line. Stuff is basicaly plug and play. About as difficult to program as any DVR / VCR. HAve not used for internet / PDA viewing but it is available.

So far it has been helpful with several damage claims and one burglar.

With 16 cameras set to motion record it holds about 2 weeks.

It is not perfect especialy if sun is sshining into the lense or at night if outside lighting shines into it, but infra red quality is good. So, camera placement is important.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Washmee--Please be careful of this Sams Club system. This system is junk. and if you trust an ad which states you will get 8 years of video storage on 500gb, well good luck with that.
Do you own one of the Sams club systems? I already have a 16 camera system that I installed about 4 years ago that cost 5 times what this unit sells for. I know its not going to store more than about 2 weeks worth of video, just like my current system. I'm sure its not a perfect system, but I think it will be good enough for my purposes.;)

MEP001

Reaction score
aca carwash 2 said:
Where do I get the software?
As I said before, the software for remote viewing is usually provided by the manufacturer of the hardware. You can't just get any software and use it to view any device; some hardware is set up to allow remote viewing via a web address from any internet-enabled device or SmartPhone with no software at all. You need to look at hardware and its specs to see how it can be viewed remotely and how it fits your needs.

Kenny Hicks said:
It's not difficult to get that sort of storage. I built a PC-based DVR out of leftover parts from various upgrades, threw in a $20 DVR card, and with a 30 GB hard drive was able to store 4 months of video from a single camera at max resolution. The cameras are definitely not suitable for a car wash (They're not weatherproof).