What's new

Paloma Tankless M24 Water Heater

copperglobe

Reaction score
Hello all, I've got several Paloma tankless water heaters at the washes models M24. I've been replacing/rebuilding the water regulators with new kits that include the diaphragm, slider pin and the hose washers. Problem is that I've had to do it about ever three months or so for each water heater. At $65 per kit!

That little pin at the top of the regulator corrodes up and won't slide up and down adjusting the gas and then the burner won't shut off and then the overheat sensor kills the pilot light. Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong with this "kit"? I've been covering both sides of the pin with the supplied grease/jelly. Thanks for your help.

sparkey

Reaction score
Interesting. I find my paloma water heaters pilot lights go out all the time. I have replaced the thermal couples and still have the same problem. Maybe this is my problem as well.

copperglobe

Reaction score
My experience is that this little pin slides up and down as the water flow/pressure changes. This sliding then turns the burner on and off. If the pin sticks then the burner stays on slightly overheating the temperature sensor which, as a safety measure, shuts off the gas completely and you then have to re-light the pilot light.

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
I have Palomas and I have to replace the diaphragm every couple of years but have never had to replace a pin. Is the pin actually corroding or is a problem with mineral deposits? I would guess the pins are made of something non-corrosive like stainless steel. Is it a problem with hard water?

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Make sure the grease you are using is like a plumbers grease, a petroleum based grease swells o-rings.. Get a dental pick and pull and replace the miniature o-ring that the spindle slides thru- when it swells it tends to bind the spindle. The spindle should slide really easy.

copperglobe

Reaction score
Make sure the grease you are using is like a plumbers grease, a petroleum based grease swells o-rings.. Get a dental pick and pull and replace the miniature o-ring that the spindle slides thru- when it swells it tends to bind the spindle. The spindle should slide really easy.
I've been using the grease supplied in the rebuild kit by Paloma. Still have the same problem. Don't know what's going on.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
You missed the real point of my post in that it is time to replace the oring that the spindle slides thru- that is what is holding the pin up and the gas on.--Take the whole water regulator off--it takes alot of pushing with a screw driver to hold the gas on. The spindle is tight for a reason.

copperglobe

Reaction score
You missed the real point of my post in that it is time to replace the oring that the spindle slides thru- that is what is holding the pin up and the gas on.--Take the whole water regulator off--it takes alot of pushing with a screw driver to hold the gas on. The spindle is tight for a reason.
That small o ring and "star" retainer are included in the rebuild kit. Are you saying you replace just the small O ring? What is your source for those?

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
It's been a while since i had the problem , but i think the o ring is on the bottum and the top of the cover. They are very small and difficult to replace. I am not sure they come in the kit . I know the diaphram does not have the o rings with it. The diaphrams strech out and rip, but the heater is then slow to turn on or not at all. The orings for the cover are small and not easy to replace. They are double the size of an 0 on this page, or close to it.
I think part PH108