What's new

Paint your Concrete Block in your bays or no ?

Rookie68

Reaction score
pros and cons guys ?
I like the idea of painting my bay walls white to brighten them up. Maybe an extra white drylock ?
I also hate the idea of having to redo it frequently.
Thoughts ?
Anybody else have flat prefab concrete ceiling ?
Interested if you all apply sealant to cinder block walls in bays or not as well. Some of the competitors have the white plastic paneling on the walls of the bays. I am personally not a fan. But I also have no clue what either cost or what else I am missing on this topic.
I am shopping waterproof products to
A. Stop the leaks at the seams in the Roof. This leaks on cars in the bay as well as me in the equipment room.
B. Sealant applied to entire surface of room to help preserve the life of the concrete.

Roz

Reaction score
we painted with a swimming pool grade paint. Looks amazing. We repaint every 4-5 years.

MEP001

Reaction score
I was just wondering about using swimming pool paint. I need to paint an auto bay wall. The last guy used regular latex house paint, so you can probably imagine how well that held up.

Roz

Reaction score
And customers like the aqua blue of the place.

Greg_T

Reaction score
1 Licola Road, Heyfield, Victoria, Australia
Ours are painted, but with just good quality exterior paint. I like the bright colour in the bays.

After nearly 3 years they need doing again. I like the idea of swimming pool paint, will explore that further.

Eric H

Reaction score
A few years ago Kleen-Rite was selling a wall epoxy. It looked great in the ad. I haven’t heard anyone mention it in a long time. Anyone know if it was any good? I’ve heard over and over to NEVER paint the walls because you’ll have to do it over and over.
I did have success using a solid color concrete stain to cover some graffiti on a exterior wall that looked great for years until I covered it with Extrutech. Btw: I didn’t do ANY prep for the stain. I just rolled it on over 20 years of dust, dirt, grease and oil

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Paint - if you don't mind having it look shabby after a couple of years and having to re do after a couple more - Then repeat. FRP Pebble finih to discourage Graffitti scratchers and good indefinitely.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you do go with FRP, pick a good one. Some of them are so cheap that spray paints and markers bury themselves into the surface. Good ones will let you wipe it right off with paint thinner.

OurTown

Reaction score
we painted with a swimming pool grade paint. Looks amazing. We repaint every 4-5 years.

What product are you using that holds up that long? Can you touch it up in between full re-coats? Are you using strong presoak and tire cleaner?

Knight01

Reaction score
I'm considering taking down the old FRP and painting. The existing is an off white/tan(ish) color and just always looks dirty no matter how much you clean it. I would think using a good paint would let you spray it down fairly quickly between deep cleans and allow you to do touch ups as needed. Is there any more feedback on the pool paint mentioned above?

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
I ditched my FRP years ago. Used block filler, then epoxy primer and then epoxy paint. Looked great for about two years. Since then, I repaint every two years, but I do not use the epoxy any longer, it costs twice as much and doesn't last any longer. I have been using Sherman Williams super paint. It holds up well. I could go longer than two years, but I like the fresher look.

GoHuge

Reaction score
We use rubberized roof coating for ours. No matter what and depending on volume it will have to be redone but it does look better after a fresh paint. It’s a pain tho. Always have a$$holes that mark it up immediately after. Ahhh the Carwash life

DAWGWASH

Reaction score
pros and cons guys ?
I like the idea of painting my bay walls white to brighten them up. Maybe an extra white drylock ?
I also hate the idea of having to redo it frequently.
Thoughts ?
Anybody else have flat prefab concrete ceiling ?
Interested if you all apply sealant to cinder block walls in bays or not as well. Some of the competitors have the white plastic paneling on the walls of the bays. I am personally not a fan. But I also have no clue what either cost or what else I am missing on this topic.
I am shopping waterproof products to
A. Stop the leaks at the seams in the Roof. This leaks on cars in the bay as well as me in the equipment room.
B. Sealant applied to entire surface of room to help preserve the life of the concrete.
I paint my bays and touch up between repainting as needed
I put a stripe in the bays up about 6’ or so and only paint below the stipe it only takes about hour to paint a bay and just let it dry and do the other ones
Somebody is always messing up the walls no matter what you have on it
Dirt, grass, mud, grease, far …
Paint is easy and cheap compared to other solutions
Main thing is to pick a color you like and go