What's new

Outdoor Pet Wash Decision

BillClinton

Reaction score
I am posting this message here, because I want replys from people who own petwashes and people that have decided against them. I have a spot where I could put an outdoor petwash tub. I am an unattended 3 and 1, but I have a high school boy that cleans up once a day. I've seen beautiful indoor petwashes, but this spot would only work for the outdoor type tub. Would this be worth the investment, hassle, and extra maintenance? It seems like it would not get any use at all in cold weather. On the other hand, there aren't any others around and the wash is in a pretty densly populated area. It may get used a lot during the other 9 months of the year. What kind of revenue are you guys making that have an outdoor petwash tub? Those of you that have considered it and decided against, what made you make the decision that you did?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just spoke to a whale of a friend about this the other day.

Would have to be covered by something, right?

What about something mobile that one could roll inside on crummy days and back outside on nice days?

Seems like the building makes it the best possible scenario but is also the thing that makes it something I'd have to amortize.

Good thread!

bigleo48

Reaction score
Looking at the average temps on Knoxville, TN, I would say that your petwash would be mostly idle for 4 to 6 months. But would like be busy for the other six. But you must also factor rainy days unless you put it in a shelter, hot days, etc. Not unlike carwashing.

I have seen the outdoor tubs and they can look very good. I have 2 indoor petwashes and I would do your outdoor one. Not much risk, if it doesn't work you'll easily sell the tub. My guess is that it will pay for itself in the first year if placed in a visible location.

Also, remember that this is a new service in your area, so it will take a couple of years to really catch on. Also note that dogs should not be washed more than every 2 weeks. We only wash our own dog once a month. So you need to build a good size customer base to start making it worth while. And when it does, your kid will need to visit the wash more often. My petwash is 5 years old and the numbers are still building, but slowly.

My free advice...Big

bighead

Reaction score
I'm in Oregon, and I don't know how our weather compares, but I do know that my DW business picks up significantly when the rainy weather sets in. I always assumed that either: they don't want to hose off their dogs in the yard anymore or the dogs are spending more time in the house and they are tired of the smell. Either way I would strongly consider something that protects your customers from the elements, because I think it pays in the long term.

On a side note, I'm planning on coming out your direction when my Ducks play your Vols next fall. I would love to check out your wash while I'm in town if you are game (pun intended).

BillClinton

Reaction score
I would love to have you come look at the wash. I tailgate to most games and would be happy to have you join our tailgate party as well.

As to enclosing it, have any of you guys researched all in one enclosed petwashes that I could place right next to my building? What brands look good and what prices are we looking at? Are their any concerns about having an enclosed place for people to do/deal drugs? Are their security/liability issues? Would it stink in their? Do you have to have a floor drain? I would have to be making some good money to justify cleaning up dog crap. How often do you have to do that?

I appreciate the feedback.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I looked at a used petwash building that was all self-contained. It was pretty beat up and they still wanted good $ + for it.

I also looked at a place that makes sheds. I also thought of building it myself.

The numbers don't pencil out yet but am still working on it.

JustClean

Reaction score
I looked at a used petwash building that was all self-contained. It was pretty beat up and they still wanted good $ + for it.

I also looked at a place that makes sheds. I also thought of building it myself.

The numbers don't pencil out yet but am still working on it.
Thinking a bit outside the square: how about a sea container? Since the financial crisis you can get them dirt cheap....and maybe with some modifications it would look even nice.

Cheers Justclean

bigleo48

Reaction score
A buddy of mine built one out of wood...some sono-tubes and about a foot off the ground (10'x12') against the end of his building. Put in a small air conditioner/heater, low voltage power, 1/2 water and a drain (FRP inside). Didn't cost him too much.

Crap is not really a problem. It will get messy, but you build it so it's easy to clean. You put a floor drain in and connect the tub drain into it.

Not sure if you need a full shelter, but perhaps a three sided glass and roof (kinda like a bus shelter).

BTW...my pet wash is less busy when it rains.

Big

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I had a friend try a sea container. Turned out to be a lot of work to make modifications and he gave up.