What's new

Options for air dryer nozzle

KleanRide

Reaction score
Just an FYI: I have the auto logic dryers and I see lots of folks using it with a two handed grip. It’s blows hard and older (weaker) users are always holding the handle and the hose at the same time.

OurTown

Reaction score
What is better about that nozzle?

Rooster

Reaction score
Not a Fan of the air shammee nozzle, I like the autodry nozzle better, but not at $100 a pop. Anyone fab something together with a vac nozzle and an extension piece, don’t really need the handle.
I have the air shammy also, I started using the je Adam's turbo towel nozzle, its straight with no handle and I believe it's about 50 bucks from windtrax

Mchas

Reaction score
What don’t you like about the air shamee nozzle?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Do the rest of you use duct tape or another way to keep the two handed gripped nozzle from threading out of the 2 inch hose occasionally?

We got our 2 handed grip similar to the pic ... from Carolina Pride.

KleanRide

Reaction score
Do the rest of you use duct tape or another way to keep the two handed gripped nozzle from threading out of the 2 inch hose occasionally?

We got our 2 handed grip similar to the pic ... from Carolina Pride.
I tried duct tape and also drilling through the cuff and hose and running a heavy zip tie to lock them down. Neither lasted long. Then ran a smooth head carriage bolt through the cuff and hose tightened it with a lock nut. Two months now and holding so calling it a win.

bert79

Reaction score
From what I can see all of the nozzles presented have a round opening. Can someone explain why there is no long flat option. Seems like if the round nozzle was flattened out (more like a vac nozzle) it would have a more squeegee-like effect?? Maybe i'm wrong here but we're looking at installing one this spring so thought it worthy of discussion. I'm sure there must be an explaination. Can someone help me understand?

washnshine

Reaction score
From what I can see all of the nozzles presented have a round opening. Can someone explain why there is no long flat option. Seems like if the round nozzle was flattened out (more like a vac nozzle) it would have a more squeegee-like effect?? Maybe i'm wrong here but we're looking at installing one this spring so thought it worthy of discussion. I'm sure there must be an explaination. Can someone help me understand?
I can’t explain the science/physics behind it, but I have seen and used both kinds (not at my own wash) and the cone shape moves water off the car much better and faster.
You have to move in slow, straight and steady rows to get the best effect from the flat nozzles - not to mention they have to be held much closer to the car, and you haven to lean over the hood to moand bend over to get down to the bottom of the sides. It’s just awkward.

With the cone shape, you can oscillate your hand and create a sweeping effect to push the water off the car and it is more efficient and effective. You can also hold the nozzle much further away since there is a more concentrated force of air coming out of the smaller round opening. You can move the air right across the hoods and roofs, and straight down the sides without having to hold the nozzle in a position or getting in a awkward position.

Might not be the best comparison, but most tunnel and IBA blower shapes have moved away from the long and narrow shape to cone shapes - with a few exceptions like the elephant ear and stripper type designs.

That is just my opinion from trying both types.

bert79

Reaction score
Thank you washnshine!! That was exactly what I was looking for. That all makes sense to me.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
It appears that Doyle's new version of their nozzle is stainless steel based on this:

If Doyle actually did discontinue their flat slotted nozzle ... I wonder who else has that style since I am pretty sure there were operators who successfully made the flat slotted nozzle work for their specific customers. It seems like some of those self service air dry flat slotted nozzle style were even more spendy ... not sure.

Back in 1987 ... we were one of the first to install self service air dry those had an earlier version of the flat slotted nozzle. Its biggest problem by far ... was even with 3 ametek motors ... the air flow was not powerful enough to keep their popularity high enough. 2 Domel's are much more CFM ... not sure how the single motor 3 phase from Diskin compares CFM wise... Hopefully someone can eventually answer the CFM question.

Last edited:

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The reason why it's $96 is because it is worth it; a car can drive over it and it won't break!

OurTown

Reaction score
The reason why it's $96 is because it is worth it; a car can drive over it and it won't break!

Have you seen this happen? I noticed not long after we installed ours that the gun's trigger was stuck and the two outer plastic shells were slightly offset and binding it. I popped it back and the trigger worked fine. I never looked at the cameras to see what happened but after reading your comment I'm thinking it might have been run over.

slash007

Reaction score
I've had good luck with them, but 2 were driven over in the past year and both most definitely did break. What pissed me off more than the $100 is how hard it was to change them.