What's new

Opening a fast lube

UkraWash

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am working with a group of people to open fast lubes in an Eastern Europe country. I had a few questions, and was wondering if anyone could help.

What is the practical difference between using a lift or having a pit, and is there any other way to do it.

What is generally done with the used collected oil.

Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
Regarding initial cost, a lift will be less expensive than a pit. For service use, a pit will be faster than a lift because two people can be working at the same time, one under the hood and one under the car. It can take twice as long to do an oil change with a lift.

There's a system that uses a set of ramps and a trolley that someone lies on and slides under the car.

pcb

Leprechaun Car Wash
Reaction score
We've been in the fast lube business 25 years and I really prefer the pit to a lift. Time wise, you can be half way through with the oil change by the time you set up a lift and get the car in the air. Also, with the car in the air as Mep stated only 1 person can work on the car therefore increasing the time even more. Another advantage to the pit is you have all the storage space. You will have alot of oil filters, air filters, fuel filters, breather filters, pcv valves, oil, and other supplies on hand and they can take a great deal of space.

Another option i've looked at is the ready to go building with ramps on both sides. The building is actually sitting off the ground which allows space under the car to lay down in with a creeper.

As far as used oil goes, around here recyclers fight over the used oil. Getting rid of it is not the problem, deciding who to use is the real problem.

MEP001

Reaction score
You can even get heaters and boilers that run on used motor oil.

chips35

clever name above
Reaction score
deciding who gets it is the company willing to give you the most $/gallon of waste oil. Heaters and boilers that run on waste oil are expensive to install and a nuisance to maintain. the company that I work for gets $ .80/gallon of waste oil and they come every 2 1/2 weeks which is usually in the ballpark of $625. A pit allows for storage of oil filters, oil tanks, waste oil tanks, belts, air filters, cabin air filters, employee lockers and any other random thing you can find a spot for.

William Wallace

Reaction score
deciding who gets it is the company willing to give you the most $/gallon of waste oil. Heaters and boilers that run on waste oil are expensive to install and a nuisance to maintain. the company that I work for gets $ .80/gallon of waste oil and they come every 2 1/2 weeks which is usually in the ballpark of $625. A pit allows for storage of oil filters, oil tanks, waste oil tanks, belts, air filters, cabin air filters, employee lockers and any other random thing you can find a spot for.
I know at least three businesses that are running CleanBurn waste oil furnaces and they absolutely love them... they average a few minutes cleanup a week.

Why get rid of the waste oil when you can burn it and heat your whole business for free? It makes no business sense in the long run, especially when range oil heads upwards again.

toxc107

Reaction score
On the Clean Burn units, make sure you set up a good PM chart and make sure employees are properly trained, especially on annual startup. You can blow through all your savings if the pump is not primed properly.

kevin1618

Reaction score
Dear friends,

After viewed your topics I found that maybe I can do something help with you,because I am a manufacturer and wholesaleer which specializing in producing and selling the wasted oil collection equipment,lubrication equipment,grease pump,oil pump,oil dispensers,hose reels and wasted oil drainers.

If any more questions please let me know at once.

THanks and best regards,

Kevin wang