What's new

Old convertible tops

MikeV

Reaction score
I have a '76 Triumph with the original convertible top that is in very good shape except for the plastic windows which are a little hazy. Is there anything that will clear up the windows?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lots of things to try here. 3M Plastic polish. Cleaner wax. I've had marginal results but if the car were mine and I could take my sweet time I'd use 3M plastic polish and lotsa elbow grease and make it shine/clear again.

Did you google it?

MikeV

Reaction score
Thanks Waxman, I knew you'd have some answers. No, I didn't google it, I was actually looking for some recommendations form someone who knew what they were doing. I will try some of that 3M stuff.

soapy

Reaction score
The best polish I have found for plastic lights, windows etc. is a polish made by GLARE products. I originally found it at Honda motorcycle dealerships under the Honda chemical line. Most Honda dealers do not carry since it is so exensive, around $30 per bottle. You can buy it on line direct if you look up glare polish on the net. Try one bottle of it and you will never use anything else. I have the 3M and meguiars plastic polishes and they do not come close to how well this polish works and restores plastic.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Soapy; always looking for a new product to try and love.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've used Brasso on Lexan - someone had used a steel wool scouring pad to remove duct tape gum from a brand-new changer face. I figured I couldn't possibly make it worse, but it completely removed the scratches and left a slight haze behind that disappeared with a cheap car paste wax.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Meguiars Plastic polish is nice and works well, but I think a more specialized product is needed for restoring the plastic windows like the post asks about.

How bout an update???

MikeV

Reaction score
Got the Glare polish in the other day and tried it on my plastic windows...did a great job. I recommend it for this application.