What's new

Oil/Water Mixture Mess

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Hey guys so came into one wash this morning to find a mess of what looks to be crankcase oil and water all over the pump stand and floor. I know which bay it was bc I asked a customer and they said the bay ran fine then lost pressure. I cleaned up the mess and tried to fire the bay up but this mixture comes flying out of the top red cap on the crankcase. At first I thought I threw a rod and broke the crankcase but that doesn't seem to be the issue. Never had this before so figured I would come here to try to get ahead before I tear into tonight or tomorrow. I'm thinking it has something to do with a seal behind the plungers but any tips? This is JC pump stand with 5CP2120's

Attachments

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
It pretty much has to be a plunger issue. Possibly a broken plunger, or the washer under the plunger bolt. If the seals in the manifold failed, it should leak into the floor and not back into the crankcase. Pull the head off. I bet it will be obvious.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
I.B.'s right.
A cracked plunger or bolt o-ring sends high pressure water right past the oil seal.
I recommend changing the oil twice after repairs are completed.

MEP001

Reaction score
They're both right, the washer on the bolt may have failed, or the bolt may have come loose, or the plunger may have cracked (Unlikely but possible).

Whenever I've had water get into the crankcase, I use a 3:1 mix of the cheapest non-detergent motor oil and transmission fluid. It may take a few changes until the oil stays clear, but it will clean the water out since transmission fluid absorbs water. It's an old mechanics' trick, and it's crazy how well it works.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Great guys thanks for tips I will definitely start by looking at the plungers and the seals. Was going to go back there this afternoon but my softgloss is acting up at the other site......just another day of running carwashes