What's new

NS vs Hanna CAR WASH SYSTEM

briteauto

Reaction score
I just re-read the title of this post - oh how we have strayed!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
OK - so now I have to ask this:

With friction washes now being perceived as "safer" than in the past and chemicals improving, and people accepting friction as a quality method of washing, will we see filament systems come back?

We are now washing a whole generation of people's cars that never experienced filalment, thus never had the fear of it. If they are willing to wash with friction, will they know enough to fear the filiament? Can the industry re-introduce this material on a large scale? I don't mean a component here and there, I mean as an option for a full system.
As far as I know you can order a filament core to fit virtualy any shaft of the cloth wheel equip out there. How that might affect pressure settings for the wraps, side wheels, lower details etc. may very wih the equipment.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Retro-washing?

An interesting thought, Earl. But the cost of the retrofit of now nonexistent hardware... along with the significant investment made by the current fabric suppliers make the back-to-the-future plastic filament retro-wash a high risk. :rolleyes:

It sure would change the dynamics of contour washing, making it a lot easier to achieve. But many underachieving operators who still manage their chemical program poorly might find the scuff problems of plastic transfer and the occasional plastic pex hanging off a trim strip totally unacceptable.:(

Nevertheless, the politics of our industry is a powerful force to contend with, given that some of the power-brokers are heavily invested. It might be like Archie Bunker telling Edith to "STIFLE YOURSELF"! :eek:

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
>>>An interesting thought, Earl. But the cost of the retrofit of now nonexistent hardware... along with the significant investment made by the current fabric suppliers make the back-to-the-future plastic filament retro-wash a high risk. <<<

Uh, no, the hardare exists. I still have a place which is all filament and recently retroffited the bottom portion of my van wheels at another place to take cloth. I simply contacted Erie Brush and said I need hardware and Brush filament for a 1.5" Shaft, 24" high. They then ask for core diameter which is the same as the cloth core and length of filament, again same as cloth length. They may also recommend regular or dense pack. So, their is the cost of the new core, but they don't last forever either.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
We still have quite a few sites with polypropylene brushes. They are not as obsolete as you think.

briteauto

Reaction score
I have seem plenty of "swirls" in the paint caused by improperly lubricated (perhaps even properly lubricated) cloth, and I have also seen chunks of cloth caught in cracks and trim as well. Anything that is not lubricated properly will show adverse results on finishes.

I would go to filament today if it was accepted by the motoring public. I know the other materials clean, but from the aspect of getting in nooks and crannies, you can't beat it. I know materials like lammscloth also get pressed into those small places, but filament is just so robust. And if you want to use a top wheel, or have a rollover that employs a top wheel, it pretty much has to be foam or filament, and I believe there is a lot more "flex" in the fibers going over wipers, racks, etc., not to mention their much smaller size.

Can they extrude the foam material so it more closely resembles filament strands rather that the fingers cut into cloth panels? Perhaps attatch it in a spiral design to the core, as Hanna used to? Would that make each piece too light to effectively clean?

wood

Reaction score
smokun: what are you smokin?

earl and brite auto are so right on. there are plentiful options to retro all equipment to plastic filament if you want to go that route. you better then anyone should understand the word MARKETING. that's why the industry went to and succeeded with cloth.

you have some many cute phrases like "platform" and now plastic "transfer". what the heck is that? any material will be safe on a vehicle assuming one uses the correct r.p.m., soap, and water lubricity.

you and roman should know about the old days and why we went to cloth as you promote the express exterior (sorry "EE") and suggest 25 year ago pricing. so humorous. you can't make money today building new and charging $3-$4 for an express wash. relying on volume is crazy! earl can because he has owned his facilities for many many years.

still don't believe me? wait til one of the worst car wash states that you promote for carwashing, florida has a fire sale on sites, if they haven't already. for years they always have had numerous washes for sale, and now with the housing and the economy in a crash and burn cycle florida washes will really be closing.

actually, that's a good idea for your next "platform": How to retrofit your closed facility into another business!

wood

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Why The Hostility?

Wood...

The dialogue was intended to provoke questions, not tempers. Yes, I am aware of all of what you said, as well as the confusing mistakes you made in your rant. :confused:

For starters, get your facts right! ;)

I am not a proponent of "EE". Exterior washing is one of the components of flex-serve, and "express" was added when the automated teller was made an option. Not my term:rolleyes:; I prefer real live people... but many others have adapted it to the paradigm. As for the terminology, I've always considered exterior washing an express activity, ever since my first one in 1967.

I disagree with your broad statement about ANY MATERIAL WILL BE SAFE because equipment is designed to be compatible with certain weight and torque for performance. It's up to the manufacturer to authorize what will... and what will not be compatible with their equipment. Not me... and certainly NOT YOU.:(

Take a breath... find a nice cool, quiet place to sit and calm down. Have a cold drink... of water. And for everyone's benefit, don't get behind the wheel. Sorry about your hot button... but please pay closer attention. :)