What's new

No soap in bay

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I have a ss bay where everything works but the hp soap has no soap. I thought that it had to be the solenoid so I ordered both the plunger and the coil. I have replaced both now but no changed. Soap is fine in all the other bays. I tried adjusting the chemical on the manifold also but nothing. What am I missing?
Thanks!

mjc3333

Reaction score
It has to be either blocked with something (line to and or from the solenoid), or no power at the solenoid itself. Take off the coil when the bay is on and see if you can feel the coil trying to "pull up" on the plunger. If you do, disconnect the output side of the solenoid and see if you get any flow. If you don't, there must be something blocking the soap line somewhere. Trace back to the holding tank (soap), disconnect the line from the tank. Make sure if there is a shutoff it is open. If you get flow from here, the kink / blockage is in the line to the pump. If you think it is just the solenoid itself, take the inlet side of the soap line and connect it directly to the outlet side bypassing the solenoid. Again, if no soap, check for a blockage. If you get soap now, the solenoid is the issue. Something could be hanging up inside the solenoid itself. If all else fails, replace the solenoid with one you now works and toss out the bad one. It could also be in the switch out in the bay. Check the solenoid’s voltage and see if you are getting 24v ac at the solenoid. If not you’ve got an issue with a wiring problem. Trace all the wires, or better yet, switch a door from a different bay and see if the problem follows or stays.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Take the plunger out of the solenoid and try running (don't select hp soap, just keep it on rinse, don't want to burn up your coil). See if soap comes out then, it should since the plunger is no longer the "block".

Also - are you using a zero pressure regulator on the inlet side of the pump? If so, it could be bad. I think you can rebuild them, but I don't go through the trouble. I just replace them.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
When I remove the plunger chemical flows (there is no shut off) so I have flow to the manifold. I'll take it loose on the output side and see if anything comes out. Does the fact that I get hp water, although soapless, rule out the bay switch?
Thanks

Reaction score
I would first check for 24v at the sol, if no power there could be the switch or a broken wire. Switch can go bad and only bring on the HP pump and not the sol.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Before going to a whole lot of trouble, try shutting off the "clear water" supply to that pump while it is running and in the "soap" mode. The pump should cavitate and clatter to beat hell, all the while it will be sucking like heck on that soap solenoid and line trying to pull liquid. I have done this numerous times to suck a gob of debris, snot, or whatever on through. It's easy and doesn't cost a dime.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
What about whether you use a zero pressure regulator? I'm sorry, I don't know your system design by your description. Let me ask this a different way, how does the soap get into your input line? Suction through a zero pressure reg, forced via a pump, etc.?

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Jeff,
Once again I am forced to show my ignorance on this forum. I do not know the answer to your question about a "zero pressure regulator". It is a Jim Coleman Super Saver if that tells you anything.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Oh now you're making me show my ignorance! :) I don't know what one of those looks like. However, I looked at them online, but cannot tell from the pictures of the system whether one is in use.

Below is an image (if it comes through) of what I'm talking about. It's usually installed with the saucer side up, unlike how the picture shows it.

If the image doesn't work you can find it at http://www.windtrax.com.

Jeff

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I'm not there now but that does not look familiar. I'll look this afternoon when I get to the wash.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I have no explanation for this except for my exemplary character but when I got here today I tested the solenoid with a screwdriver and got no reponse. So I switched the board between that bay and another and now they both work. It should be said that somebody told me to try this right off the bat but I thought I was so darn smart that I knew what the problem was. It must have been something electrical but I don't know what. I'd rather be lucky than good.
Thanks guys!

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Yeah, we all should have thought of that. First thing I say to my attendant when he calls me with a problem is "have you rebooted the system?". Seems to fix a majority of the problems.