What's new

Newbe here- Should I build car wash yes or no ? Please guide me

Bigtrx25

Reaction score
Respected gentlemen,

First time posting here. I have been reading in this forum very useful information and huge thank you all the car wash owners for sharing information here. I ownland of 3 acres in FL in end of town. Population of city is 50k with 4 total car wash of which 2 are built recently new ones and other 2 are old of 1 is just S/S and one is small tunnel with 2 S/S. land is located 1 mile on exit of I-95. Behind the land big super market with other small business around like mc Donald,wendy's ,auto shops, dollar stores. Next to site is big chain pharmacy and across is a small stirip shopping plaza. Traffic count 3500 PD and don't know on cross city ave. I guess just about 1000 cars PD. Population within 3 miles is 35k and 5 miles is 50k I love washing cars. I do mine home always. The closest car wash from my land is 5.5 miles away. So here are the questions -

- Does the traffic count, location and population is suitable for car wash ?
- If yes, what is ideal and most profitable type of car wash should i go for?
- How much it will cost to built from scratch for 1 express tunnel and 2 self serve ?
- Which brand equipments are good and reliable for tunnel and s/s ?
- Is there any difference in length of tunnel makes ? in other words more type of service does longer tunnel provide?
- How many vacuum should be enough ?
- Which is better and profitable? water recycle tanks which cleans and uses the same water and conserve too. Is it worth to install recycle water tanks or use city water?
- The location is end of town with the next town population of 7k with no car wash at all. If I build the closer will be mine for that town.
- Is there any car wash companies which provide guidelines, free evaluation and does gives an idea of what the profit will be vs total investment.

If the idea of car wash mine is not feasible per you recommendations than what should I go for? Apartment buildings or give me suggestions please?
I will appreciate yours your inputs which will save me from big disaster decision.
Thank you in advance.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi.

With all due respect, you are asking us to do everything for you and that's not the way any of this works.

You need to find some of this information on your own, first, and then come back having done your homework. You are asking us to do it for you and that's not appropriate.

Read trade magazines. Contact equipment manufacturers and distributors. Visit other car washes. Take the owners out to lunch once you have done more homework so they don't get annoyed at your lack of any knowledge whatsoever regarding this industry.

Join the ICA. Attend trade shows. Attend the educational seminars at said trade shows. Learn, absorb, and take notes. Raise your hand and ask well-informed questions.

Start there. Then come back in a year or so and ask the right questions of us.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
^ What he said.

Car washes cost millions of dollars to build new. They require high traffic counts to be successful. 3500cpd is horrible.

water guy

Reaction score
That's Awesome I'm Glad someone Finally spoke up and said Something . Thanks Again
Hi.

With all due respect, you are asking us to do everything for you and that's not the way any of this works.

You need to find some of this information on your own, first, and then come back having done your homework. You are asking us to do it for you and that's not appropriate.

Read trade magazines. Contact equipment manufacturers and distributors. Visit other car washes. Take the owners out to lunch once you have done more homework so they don't get annoyed at your lack of any knowledge whatsoever regarding this industry.

Join the ICA. Attend trade shows. Attend the educational seminars at said trade shows. Learn, absorb, and take notes. Raise your hand and ask well-informed questions.

Start there. Then come back in a year or so and ask the right questions of us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigtrx25

Reaction score
Thank you for your response waxman, Like I said I am new to this car wash idea and now I am going to car wash seminar and get some more info. I will appreciate if someone here can give me just a ballpark amount for 1 touchless express and 3 s/s. Thank you.

MEP001

Reaction score
I love washing cars. I do mine home always.
You couldn't possibly be more green to this industry. You have a TON of research to do before you should even begin considering a build.

- Is there any car wash companies which provide guidelines, free evaluation and does gives an idea of what the profit will be vs total investment.
You shouldn't rely on information from someone whose only goal is to sell you equipment. Most of them will just tell you what you want to hear to make the sale and don't give a flip if you're successful or not.

I will appreciate if someone here can give me just a ballpark amount for 1 touchless express and 3 s/s. Thank you.
That "ballpark" can vary by a million dollars depending on options, manufacturer and location.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you for your response waxman, Like I said I am new to this car wash idea and now I am going to car wash seminar and get some more info. I will appreciate if someone here can give me just a ballpark amount for 1 touchless express and 3 s/s. Thank you.
It is up to you to determine the ballpark amount, not us.

Location, car wash type, size and layout. Building materials, land cost, utilities, etc. Everything, right down to your first chemical order must be considered. Throwing a wild guess at it will do no good. Just the fact that you're asking professionals to guess wildly at this and come up with a half-baked response says to all of here that YOU ARE NOT READY. Buy some books on writing a business plan then go and get a job at a car wash to see what it's really like...

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
I will appreciate if someone here can give me just a ballpark amount for 1 touchless express and 3 s/s. Thank you.
FYI. There's no such thing as a "touchless express". I think you mean touchless rollover. "Express" is a type of car wash business model.

OurTown

Reaction score
FYI. There's no such thing as a "touchless express". I think you mean touchless rollover. "Express" is a type of car wash business model.

Although rare there are touchless express exterior washes out there.