What's new

New to forum & looking to start a self service wash

heezy_r32

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just joined the forum. I recently got back from a deployment in the middle east. I served as a soldier and as a contractor. With the troop withdrawal in Iraq my position got cut. My field is in IT and I am not looking to work in a cooperate life style. I'm looking to start my own self-service car wash in the state of Georgia. I have been researching locations and I think I got a general idea where I want the wash to be placed. I'm starting from scratch and most likely won't be looking to buy one that is established. My funding will most likely come from a bank or SBA. Kind of want an insight on how some of you started your self-service car wash from beginning to the end and what was the total start up cost like. Any input will help!

MEP001

Reaction score
You should seriously reconsider buying an existing car wash. It's difficult even with stellar credit to get a loan to build a car wash even if you have 30% up front. Land costs and property taxes in states that have it would make it very hard to survive the first couple of years while you build business.

heezy_r32

Reaction score
You should seriously reconsider buying an existing car wash. It's difficult even with stellar credit to get a loan to build a car wash even if you have 30% up front. Land costs and property taxes in states that have it would make it very hard to survive the first couple of years while you build business.
I really appreciate the feedback. I was sitting here thinking and I might end up buying a existing wash since getting the loan and all the property taxes that come in the way is setting me back.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you're lucky you can get a functioning but underperforming wash for not much more than the value of the land. It takes some work, but if it's neglected but in a good location you can make it nicely profitable without a lot of money put into it.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
First off Thank You for your service.
Listen to MEP001.
Getting architectural drawings, lawyers (getting incorporated, possibly have them represent you in getting your approvals with the township), surveys, etc. is costly and time consuming. Raw land in general is expensive.
Especially when you have not done it before.
Buying a wash that has not been updated in a long time but has a good site, minimal competition (self serv and no express wash near by or trying to get a permit for one), structurally sound I believe is the best way to get started.
There are plenty of people on this site that would be very willing to help you with any issues you will have.

STXCW

Reaction score
Have to agree with the above on building a new self serve car wash. Now if you were to build a 4 bay with 1 automatic, that changes things as a good automatic will out produce your self serve income. Now if you were to do this at an existing site, you would be much better off.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
First, a few questions:

~ Why are you against buying an existing wash?

~ Would you consider working part time at a wash to gain useful experience?

~Are you mechanically inclined?

~ How many hours a day can you commit to running the business?

Eric H

Reaction score
I think if you even worked part time at a self serve you might reconsider this whole idea. The amount of work will blow you away
I would add: it's 90% menial demoralizing work cleaning up after moronic slobs and 10% highly specialized knowledge to repair equipment.
Most of my plumber friend wouldn't be able to repair carwash equipment. My electrician friends could get it done but most would struggle the entire time. If your not the type of person that can/will fix your own car, furnace and roof then this might not be the best industry for you. You will lose a lot of $$ paying a carwash service company to repair your carwash

MEP001

Reaction score
You will lose a lot of $$ paying a carwash service company to repair your carwash
If you can even find a good one that can do it. Most of them around here have one guy that knows the stuff, but they send out some kid with a degree in liberal arts who spends most of the billable time on the phone asking someone else what to do. If you have even a little mechanical aptitude, everything can be figured out with help from this forum.

heezy_r32

Reaction score
First off Thank You for your service.
Listen to MEP001.
Getting architectural drawings, lawyers (getting incorporated, possibly have them represent you in getting your approvals with the township), surveys, etc. is costly and time consuming. Raw land in general is expensive.
Especially when you have not done it before.
Buying a wash that has not been updated in a long time but has a good site, minimal competition (self serv and no express wash near by or trying to get a permit for one), structurally sound I believe is the best way to get started.
There are plenty of people on this site that would be very willing to help you with any issues you will have.
Appreciate the insight! I'm definitely taking it small and will hopefully be able to make this happen!

Dcpagejr

Reaction score
If you do decide to get an existing site get in touch with me and I ll help ya out getting it going. I also noticed some in GA on a foreclosure site last night ill see if I can find that.