What's new

New to car washing, and would like some input please.

Broadwayautoclinic

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am in the process of finalizing what equipment I am buying for my car wash. My plan was/is to get one touch and one touch free from Belanger . I am referring to the Vector and the Freestyler, both with all the toys. Of all the touch less units I?ve used, I was most impressed with the Vector. In my area, PDQ rules, which I found odd since they don?t do a great job IMO, and the onboard dryers are just terrible.

At the AC carwash exhibit, I was very impressed with Aerodry, due to its high velocity, ducting, construction and low noise. I want to go with the 60HP units for both bays, but man, are they expensive! However, I don?t want to cheap out on the dryers, because to me, unless the cars are dry, the wash is incomplete. Most, if not all the washes in my area leave the cars dripping wet, and that ****es me off. Customers deal with it because they have no choice, but I want to give them that choice!

Belanger seems to be suggesting that I go with only touch free, even though I?ve expressed the desire to have one of each. There are no Freestylers in my area and no in bay automatic friction machines for 50 miles or more. Yet Hoffmans, the local chain, has nonstop action from their friction tunnels. I figure that a Freestyler would be well received if it does a good job. Am I wrong for wanting one of each, to appeal to a broader market?
Gentlemen, any constructive advice would be appreciated.

Rick

MEP001

Reaction score
There's another very recent thread that asks the same question regarding a touchless/friction side by side. The consensus seems to be that more customers will prefer the friction due to the better cleaning.

We run a Vector with their 3-blower dryer, and it doesn an adequater job, but not complete. I'd definitely like to see cars coming out more completely dry, and so do the customers. A better dryer would be a wise investment.

Installer

Reaction score
Pdq

Here's my opinion on what to consider. For touchfree there are a few sites in your area that have PDQ dryers with side producers that do an excellent job. One is Clean 2o in Campus off Western Ave. the other is a brand new site with G-5's off route 9 in rotterdam, between the Hoffman sites next to the Audi dealer. This site is under construction but you could probably take a look at the concept these guys have implemented. I think it will be more than adequate for drying the cars. As far as the friction the PDQ Tandem offers a new concept called "flash dry" check out there site it really cool. PDQ is dominate in the area because they are the good and Nonstop seems to have a good handle on service from what I have seen.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Broadway,

I'd be interested to know why Belanger is steering you to the Vector and away from having a combo site. They are selling both pieces of equipment, so I'm wondering why they are leaning toward the touch free?

Do they have experience with combo sites that havent faired all that well? Just wondering.....

ScottV

Bsmith

BSmith
Reaction score
I am an owner of a 2 bay Belanger site that has both the Freestyler and the Vector. As far as friction vs touch free, if you're planning on running the site absentee, touchfree would be a safer way. A friction roll-over is no different than a conveyorized wash. You have to police the oversized vehicles, loose accessories, snowplows, etc that can cause a problem. The combination of touchfree and friction is, without a doubt, the best way to build a wash. But, maybe your distributor is recommending touch free only because you plan to run it unattended? As far as your dryer is concerned, the key to drying the car is that you have to clean the car first, otherwise the dryer won't work. Our experience, after using the right detergents and the right drying agents, we can get a car bone dry with the Belanger 3 nozzle dryer. Good luck with your project!

Broadwayautoclinic

Reaction score
Here's my opinion on what to consider. For touchfree there are a few sites in your area that have PDQ dryers with side producers that do an excellent job. One is Clean 2o in Campus off Western Ave. the other is a brand new site with G-5's off route 9 in rotterdam, between the Hoffman sites next to the Audi dealer. This site is under construction but you could probably take a look at the concept these guys have implemented. I think it will be more than adequate for drying the cars. As far as the friction the PDQ Tandem offers a new concept called "flash dry" check out there site it really cool. PDQ is dominate in the area because they are the good and Nonstop seems to have a good handle on service from what I have seen.
The main reason I won't go with PDQ is because they only offer onboard drying, and I am not a fan of it. It's a shame, because the local rep for them is a great guy, and I like him. But I want what I want.

I wonder if the Tandem is any good?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
The main reason I won't go with PDQ is because they only offer onboard drying, and I am not a fan of it. It's a shame, because the local rep for them is a great guy, and I like him. But I want what I want.

I wonder if the Tandem is any good?
You can get stand-alone dryers everywhere, it doesn't have to be a PDQ unit. I recently bought a Wesumat friction machine. I didn't like their onboard dryer or the Mark VII stand-alone that was offered. I bought a Peco stand-alone and love it.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I assume that you are going to the iCA show next month. I would bet that if you show up there with your checkbook you can look at all of the machines and cut a good deal. Just make sure that whatever you buy you can get serviced. If I had mine to do over I would put in a friction and a touchfree and skip the ss. If I was only choosing 1 auto I would not hesitate to go with friction. They do take more attention though.

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
Side by side covers both options and is a great advertising advantage. I know of a few locations with the same Freestyler/Vector setup that do great. I also think chemicals have more to do with drying than blower sizing. Spend some time with different chemical reps and see what they have to offer. Remember this, after cleaning the car with soaps you want a nuetral Ph and then use beading agent not just a wax.

Broadwayautoclinic

Reaction score
I assume that you are going to the iCA show next month. I would bet that if you show up there with your checkbook you can look at all of the machines and cut a good deal. Just make sure that whatever you buy you can get serviced. If I had mine to do over I would put in a friction and a touch free and skip the ss. If I was only choosing 1 auto I would not hesitate to go with friction. They do take more attention though.
I love Jimmy Buffet btw..

You know, Mr. Margarita Man , that is a great idea you just gave me. I plan to have the new place open by late August 08. Perhaps as late as the end of September. That gives me plenty of time to make up my mind. I went to the show In AC a while back, but I really should go to next one and see what else can confuse me..

That being said, both the Belanger and PDQ reps have been very nice, and very attentive and patient. When I initially started looking, I was talking to Ryko. But after going through several of their touch free sites, I decided that the high volume low pressure technique was inferior to lower volume and higher pressure based on washing my mudded up pickup truck

PDQ had no friction when I first started looking, so I leaned toward Belanger. Now I'm totally freaking confused whom to go with. Talk about being indecisive. :eek: Both companies will provide good service in my area.

I plan to see both the Freestyler and the Tandem in action,although I have to drive hours each way in order to do that for each demo... There are no friction automatics around me whatsoever. Only expensive tunnels, owned by a chain.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I always wanted to be JB and Bill gave me my chance!

I opened in a town that had nothing but touch-free autos. I bought a Softgloss and it was absolutely the right decision. Cars get cleaner and chemical expenses are WAY less. I can see no reason that high impact should be just as effective as high pressure in a touch-free but I don't know much about them. One thing to keep in mind is that Ryko has been building friction machines for decades, most others have not. It's is all about chemistry with a tf and all about physics with the friction. I guess it is obvious that friction will take more attention than tf as far as keeping an eye on moronic customers (of which there are plenty).
I would imagine that if you are prepared to write somebody a check their eyes will get big and their pencils will get sharp, especially when they know that you can literally take a few steps and write a check to another quality manufacturer. I have never been to the show but I think I'm right. Most importantly you need machines that you can get installed properly and serviced quickly by experienced personnel. That is more important than brand imo.

briteauto

Reaction score
As others have stated, I think you are wise to do a touch free and a friction. If you are surrounded by tf's and friction tunnels, you can satisfy both types of customers. I am familiar with the Hoffman chain around Albany - I have to contend with an even bigger one here on the western side of the state - Delta Sonic.

There is probably a big benefit to buying both machines from the same manufaturer/distributor, in terms of service from one location (provided it is good service) and perhaps even some better deal on the initail purchase/install since you are buying two machines.

I agree with the post above that said to not forget about the wheels. In an inbay, I feel wheels are best cleaned with chemicals and high pressure. Inbays with friction units (and no hp) just do not get the penetration into the crevices and designs found on a lot of wheels today. They do a great job on a flat, plain hub cap, or wheel cover, but if you are not going to have manual prepping, and only rely on automation for the wheels, I believe hp is the single most effective method. If you can do both hp and friction, by all means do that.
The touch free IBA's that offer a friction "hub scrub" also deliver pressure cleaning to the wheels during the touch free portion of the wash - there you get the best of both worlds, but if you can only have one, I would advise the hp, like the Freestyler, or even the Sonny's i-wash.

Good Luck!

wolfe

PDQ Wolfe
Reaction score
PDQ Machine

We have two types of dryers, Superior & PDQ. We use a drying agent on the dock style because it does not dry as well as the oscilating Superior. However if you have a good rep who is interested in taking care of you, the choice can quickly become clear. Some outfits just want the sale, my rep tends to stay in close touch. His futures relys on this type of service as well. Soaps, parts, service sales..

alkopsick

Reaction score
Check out Autec'a EV-1 hybrid, does touchless, soft touch or combination. It really cleans cars.

mobdog69

Carwasher
Reaction score
There are many things to consider, throughput is very important. The PDQ equipment is very good, the Tandem is arguably the best friction IBA on the market. The on board dryers suck on all these machines. design your bay around 50ft long, put dryers at the end of the bays and you will be able to get some production out of these machines. Belanger is also a good company, whoever you choose make sure they are right for you. If you need more throughput, then you may want to consider a Mini Tunnel.