What's new

New Mud Bay Idea

RustyD123

Reaction score
I am considering converting one of my 3 wash bays to a mud bay. The current bay is perfect to pull trailers in and has the smallest drain of all 3 bays. It fills quickly. I’m considering blocking the drain and sloping the concrete out the side to flow under the brick after slots are opened. I plan to only provide a water rinse option. Has anyone tried something like this? The carwash is beside a lake and hunting areas. Very rural. Idk

RustyD123

Reaction score
A mud bay ? For only muddy vehicles etc..? If that’s what you mean I wouldn’t waste your time if you’re not sitting there all day. Let me know if your customers actually read signs 😬
Yep. I have no idea. I’m pretty sure the side would fill with mud, and I’d end up shoveling anyway. I’m trying to find a way to provide a mud clean off area for the community.

Wash4Life

Reaction score
At one of our locations, we had unofficial mud bays. We had seven bays at the time, two in a front building and five in a building that was later built to expand. When we caught muddy bays, we would send them to the front.

In your case, I don't believe a mud bay would work. To me, you don't have enough bays to do it. On top of that, I'm not sure there are enough muddy vehicles to fill it constantly. And with being official, if it's empty and clean, you may have non-muddy cars who may not think it can be used since they're not muddy. I'll end as well with gray area as well.

Bud's

Reaction score
How much mud we talking?

I cleaned over 6,000 lbs of mud from one of my 4 bay self service locations last month alone.

STXCW

Reaction score
Whenever it rains in our area, every bay becomes a mud bay. We run them off if we are there but always seem to return when no one is present and basically shutdown the wash bay until someone returns to clean up the mess. We have signs up saying no excessive mud, but who reads signs anyways?

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
How much mud we talking?

I cleaned over 6,000 lbs of mud from one of my 4 bay self service locations last month alone.
Is all that extra work factored into the pricing or are they trashing the place at your expense?

traveler17

Reaction score
Whenever it rains in our area, every bay becomes a mud bay. We run them off if we are there but always seem to return when no one is present and basically shutdown the wash bay until someone returns to clean up the mess. We have signs up saying no excessive mud, but who reads signs anyways?
Lol. Nobody reads signs. They are there so we can point at it if we catch them. Lady said I needed a sign to say she couldn’t dump boxes in my dumpster. I can’t believe it!! I put a sign up and they’re still doing it 😬

MudMoney

Reaction score
I live in rural area where mud is money, pickups out number cars. Up your prices to cover the labor costs with muddy bays.You cannot have a dedicated bay for mud or expect customers to read signs. My wash is attended and 4 minutes is $ 3.75, going to $ 4.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We do try to steer "the regulars" who tend to have mud under their wheel wells to a specific deeper pit which is our truck bay. They try to comply somewhat so that info spoken to them does help!