What's new

New Marketing Thought

pgrzes

Reaction score
With so much bad weather in the N.E. for the last 3 1/2 monthes, i was thinking about actually adding a lower cost wash and marketing it as such. Do you think it would be considered to RACEY.

Stop in for a Quickie now just $5.00. In and out in only 3 Minutes.

Anyone used it?? if so howd it do?? Need to try something. Lost 18 days in December, 8 days this month, 12 days in Nov. And most have been weekends.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
When I took over a location I wanted to name it "Quickie Wash" my partner voted me down as to racy. Ended up with "Fast" instead. Aside from the Simpson's TV show popularizing the name with it's "Quicke Mart" I figured there was lots of opportunity. "Come in for a Quickie" "A quickie only $xxx" "Everyone needs a Quickie at least once a week" "We give the best Quickie"

Don't even ask me about my thought for "S*it Gas."

Chiefs

Reaction score
I can understand, relate to and sympathize with your plight. But, instead of starting something that you may find it difficult to stop and lowering your revenue per car, why not entice customers with lower prices in exchange for their loyalty to you.

Our 5 wash book program generates a hefty 25-27% of our gross annual sales. When we were desperate last January (we lost about 6,000 cars over the average January) we began a pre-paid, 30 day Club Card which we have sold over 700 in this out first year which ends February 1st. The average usage of this card by customers is just over 10 washes per month.

But by far our biggest innovation which helped us increae book wash sales by 50% last year was our acceptance of Vsa and Mastercard. In what most operators would tell you was a bad year, we saw a 10% increase in wash volume and a 16% increase in revenue.

We also give the customers a few perks like moist disposble towels and customer imprinted litter bags ( cost 14 cents per car for both) and seasonal newsletters which helps to set us apart from our competitors.

I beleive you'll regret offering the $5.00 wash.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like the seasonal newsletter idea. Can I get a copy of one with the idea of perhaps implementing this at my place?

I know it's a different business, but my detail shop/IBA/SS does the little extras and I do believe it makes a difference and builds customer loyalty while increasing perceived value. Litterbags with my name, number and address, static labels with my logo and a date the car was 'last waxed', as well as a nice, plastic coated paper mat, some scent, etc. all add to the experience for the customer. People notice these things and request the extras when I've slipped up and run out for a day or 2 until my order arrives. For the holidays, I inserted into my gift certificate/pre paid car wash envelopes: a brochure for detailing, my personal business card and a Little tree of the customers' choice. It fattened up the envelope nicely!

I'm doing all I can to wow the customer, provide a high level of service, do the little extras, give back to the community with charity washes, and make people feel like this is 'their place'.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
This is where a web site would help, by getting their email addresses, you can send then specials/info etc.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
When I was in the F.S. business I ran a promo "Buy a Wash , Receive a FREE Wash" (any wash) month during the summer when it was slow.
Everybody thought I was nuts.
It ended up being one of our most profitible months in the year.
Many customers would buy up to the Ultimate Wash (back in the 80's it was $18.95) and receive free ultimate wash coupon. Some coupons were lost.
Those that bought the exterior wash(3.95) or full serv wash(6.95) got a free Ext. or full serv coupon.
Funny thing was many of these customer came back and upgraded to the Ultimate wash.
I also use to have "Double Coupon" days.
Customers could bring ANY coupon (diaper, toothpaste, soda, etc.) and we would double the value of them and deducted it from whatever wash they purchased, max. of $3.00.
This got a lot of play. Customer (especially women) loved it. On days that were going to be somewhat slow we would see the same customer 2-3 times come in with coupons.
After close I would let the employees take whatever coupons they wanted. They actually looked forward to it.

buda

Reaction score
What do you pay labor in your area per hour on average? What are your electrical and water bills per month, compared to other areas of the country? What is land cost? That is, if you were purchasing your property today what would it cost and what is the square footage?

Regards
Bud Abraham