What's new

New lights at the wash

MEP001

Reaction score
HPS are yellow. As far as life and bulb brightness, they actually get brighter as they age. MH get dimmer as they and have typically about half the life, but it's a very white light.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
A lot of people like the MH as do I in some apps like the tunnel and use the 320 W Scottsdales . Some use them in opposite ceiling crners to get the sides and tps of the cars. Since Straight down on the top in a bay may not illumoinate the lower sides and wheels unless you have really reflective walls. the above system has 640 watts total.

In my bays where the walls are not really reflective - Maybe one day will spend the $6000.00 - I have 4 , four foot double tube wet encl. HO flurescents mounted horizontaly at about 8 foot height, each about 2 fet in from the end of the wall. each fixture is 120 watts. - 60 each bulb. Does a great job and is less expensive to operate than the MH. If I did it from scratch I might figure a way to run opposite corners all the time and use a motion sensor for the other 2 or tie it into the meter box use. I don't think that wwould be practical with an MH setup.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
When I was at the WCA convention I saw the new LED lighting fixtures from LSI. I was impressed with how bright they are. www.lsi-industries.com/solidstate/solidstatelighting.asp We are thinking about replacing all of our MH and HPS fixtures with a light a fixture that has a lower operating cost.
If you burn your lights all night (3500-4000 hours a year, I think the payback for the LED's was about 5 years. I considered doing it for my gas pump canopy but since we are not open all night I figured we burn the lights about 1200 hours a year so the payback for a chnageover was not worth it.

Randy

Reaction score
I don?t think I?d replace the lights I have now with the LED?s unless they needed to be replaced or I was planning doing a remodel. Up here the power company is paying most of the cost to replace the MH or HPS lights. About the first of Nov or late Oct. I pull the stops out of my bay light timer and run the lights 24/7 until Spring. We have a lot of dark gloomy days up here and the bays are like a cave during the day in the winter months.