What's new

New "Illegal" Competition

Red Baron

Reaction score
Just down the road from me a local tire repair shop is allowing a guy to wash cars in their driveway with the water/soap running down the curb. He's just started and I don't see him hurting me much, but I'm concerned about letting this kind of thing get started - next thing you know 6 more guys figure out they can make more money handwashing cars than they can with a real job.

The TNRCC required me to spend a lot of money on pits and drainage, trace analysis, and expensive removal of my mud. I think a guy washing cars in a commercial parking lot represents unfair competition that I cannot allow.

What say you?

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I would call the township and make them aware of it. If they were that concerned about the environment when you were building your wash, they should jump all over this guy. I would definitely make a call though.

MEP001

Reaction score
I agree, since it's not a charity wash, it's not likely to put you in a bad light as it might if you were calling about a group of Girl Scouts.

Do you know why they're washing cars there? Maybe there's a way to turn it into something profitable for yourself.

frside1

Reaction score
Same thing in memphis, tn happening for the last 5+ years. wrote to mayor and he talked good game about cracking down. of course, nothing happened, but more street washers.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Frside1, If the Mayor ignores the problem call one of the TV stations or newspapers. If you can inform them of the environmental issues or operating without a permit they will probably put some pressure on. Nothing moves elected officials more than pressure from the public except for maybe PAC money or lobbyists.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I would talk to the guy first. As a fellow business man, I think he would understand how this kind of activity affects your business. I would also mention the environmental effects.

If he continues, I would then go to the city bylaw officer and so on to get him to stop.

Let us know how it goes.

BigLeo

dclark3344

Reaction score
Give a Hoot Don't Pollute

Red Baron,
We have a city action line that the caller can call in and complain without revealing their identity. The code enforcement officers respond to every call. I would call the city code enforcement and inform them of the pollution that is happening and if there is nothing done quickly you will have to call the state and federal DEQ (Department of Environmental Quality) and file a formal compaint.
You may consider making a donation to the local tree hugger organization if they will file a civil "Abatement of a Nuisance" suit. A local development Engineer can direct you to an engineer that can do a "Jurisdiction of Determination" which would disclose any adverse environmental impact to any vegetation, insects or wildlife that are federally protected. It also discloses of any archelogical or historical values that may be federally protected. They are generally able to FIND or NOT FIND what you need. You know money talks.

Do you have to have your pits pumped by a DEQ approved company? If so then inform the city that you will just pump your pits to the storm drain just like your "illegal competition" and create a Fair Trade Practice.