What's new

New guy with Arimitsu 516 pump issue.

Reaction score
Hey, Everybody! Actually I was here 4 or 5 years ago,you helped me find a part. Thanks. Now I'm back with a pump question. My 88 yr old Dad still runs his 4 bay self serve (every day for 40 yrs!). Recently, we replaced a Cat 530 with an Arimitsu 516. We replaced the feed in check valve, but not the unloader. Pressure is set for 1200 psi with pump idling. When wand trigger is squeezed pressure drops,and system pounds briefly,before subsiding. Pump out put is steady-no pulsing. The remaining cat pumps connected to same system have no issues. Thank-you for your thoughts! Chuck.

MEP001

Reaction score
How much does the pressure drop? Does it dip and come right back up? How long does it "pound" when the trigger is pulled? Is it plumbed the same as the other pumps?

Reaction score
Hello. Pressure dips to about 900psi. Stays that way until trigger is released. Pounds for only a second or two,the cat pumps don't do that. And it is plumbed the same way. To test this pump,I removed the plunger from the wash solenoid valve and made sure that the supply shut off valve was wide open. Didn't help. C.

MEP001

Reaction score
If the tip hasn't been changed in a while, it may be washed out. There might also be debris in the regulator - unscrew it all the way with the pump off (in case you screw the handle all the way off - that can be a bad thing to happen with the pump running), then remove the tip, run the pump for a minute, replace the tip and adjust the pressure with the trigger pulled. Or just replace the regulator.

Reaction score
Thanks MEP. I will replace tip this week. Regulator also. Should I adjust it as you described? Is some pressure drop with trigger squeezed normal? Bear with me here,this has been Pop's operation for the last 40 years and I'm not familiar with how this stuff works. Pop,unfortunately, has lost some of his ability to help. Confusion sets in. Thanks again for your help. C.

MEP001

Reaction score
A little drop in pressure is normal, only about 5%. Replace the tip first and see if the pressure returns to normal - if you replace the regulator you shouldn't need to do anything more than adjust it to the pressure you want with the trigger pulled.