What's new

New Door Opener

soapy

Reaction score
I came across a new style of overhead door opener and was wondering if anyone is using them. It is made by Liftmaster specifically for wet environments. It is a waterproof motor bolted to a sealed gear box. The gear box slides right onto the overhead door shaft and all controls are in a seperate sealed box that mounts anywhere. This design eliminates all the chains, belts and couplers normally seen on car wash door operators. Once the limits are set you never have to reset limits again. Does anyone use these and are there any draw backs to them?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think that's the one I just got. Works mint with one little glitch; the pulley that goes on the motor shaft walks inward, making the belt not track straight, which makes the assy. run loud but otherwise okay. Should the set screw tighten against the key or the slot for the key; not sure!!

This pulley is attached w/a set screw but no matter how tight I try to get it it keeps allowing the small pulley to wander in towards the motor.

It is Nema 4.

washtubman

Reaction score
Drill an indent into the shaft where the set screw goes; that will stop it from moving.

EZ Washer

Reaction score
What he said. Use a punch to mark the drill site first, so the drill tip doesnt wander. Cobalt tips for stainless ;)

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Soapy, the WyndStar doors are set up that way. I have four of them, and yes they do work great.

Waxman, the opener Soapy is talking about wouldn't use a belt since the gearbox slides right over the door shaft. I had a belt style opener once...it didn't stay around long.

Etowah

soapy

Reaction score
Pat, I thought I saw these somewhere. Waxman, like Pat said we are talking about a different type of opener. I have been priced at $1200 installed. That is about the same as a waterproof rated jack shaft operator. I can only see upsides to this operator.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I have jackshaft style.

Mine has stainless steel gears and chain and waterproof motor and gasketed plastic cover.

Need to replace the exit door operator next year; maybe will look at new style.

soapy

Reaction score
Model is called EGJ. I installed 4 of them this year and so far they have worked without a problem.