What's new

New Car Wash in Los Angeles...

TLC Car Wash

Reaction score
Hello. I'm a new car wash owner that recently inherited a car wash in the outskirts of Los Angeles county. For the past 4 months me and my family have been investing into the 30 year old full service wash by remodeling it from the ground up. Compared to other newer car washes it looks a little shoddy but the old customers know how much effort we've put into the place.
But in all honesty it hasn't been very profitable for us during the past months due to various reasons from the weather to the Lakers. We have a lot of competition just around the corners, but I feel that we have the best location out of all of the others. Plus, the old owners were running this car wash for over 35 years. It is a full service car wash and we also do detailing. We pride ourselves in having 100% original hand washes and we even hand wash the cars inside the conveyor tunnels, so we're brushless. It is a small car wash and we can wash 7 cars at 1 time, plus 1 detailing service.
I would appreciate some tips or recommendations on how other owners have successfully brought new traffic into their washes. I haven't started because I don't want to screw myself before I officially have a grand opening. What would be some highly effective and relatively low cost methods to generate traffic into my car wash?
Now that the 4th of July is coming up, I feel that it could be a great time to do a 4th of July special. I could offer our quickest wash at about 1-2 dollars off or a wax + wash combo, put up a 8 x 4 foot banner in red, white and blue and have it on all weekend. Has anyone had success with these kinds of promotions?
Thanks.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Well...you just gave us an earful of why you think your wash is the best, have you thought about advertising what you just said? How about hiring some teenagers with balloons or other eye catching devices to stand by the roadway waving at cars to attract attention? Just a couple of thoughts.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
IMO, try different promotions, and keep track of the success, noting weather etc. Nothing is going to be a home run, rebuilding the business will take time. Usually nothing is a complete bomb either. You need to get the word out that you are a new management and want their business. You have the opportunity to take emails so you can spend less money keeping them as customers than the cost of getting new ones. About 5 to 1 difference.

Of course, paying attention to expenses is necessary too.

Chiefs

Reaction score
How long does it take you wash a car from the time I pull up and get out to the time I get back in and drive away?

TLC Car Wash

Reaction score
If there is no wait at the vacuums then the quickest wash should take about 15-20 minutes. Hand washes, depending on the size of the car, take about 20-25 minutes. Most people who get the hand wash drive trucks or SUVs. The customer leaves their car with an attendant and then the attendant takes care of everything. Average wait time for a customer is about 5 minutes if all the attendants are currently washing other cars. Thanks for your responses.