What's new

Never new you got robbed

cleancar

Reaction score
I was watching my cameras and some hoodlums looked like they were vacuuming out his car while the other was picking the lock on the vending machine. Just then he opened the door and took all the change and bills. Cops were called and all evidence was given to the police. We have plates and make/model of the car. Just a matter of time till gotten. However, he got into the lock very easy. By grinding off the tip of the barrel key that he had, his fit into ours and just opened it up. As long as the crooks barrel key is the same diameter as the one he is trying to get into, its no problem. He then puts bill dispenser back and the change bin back just like he found it. We are now changing to a regular key, as we are told they are alot harder to get into. Just an FYI if you have a barrel key.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
My pop machines have locks that take a round key. I was wondering how many combinations of this key are out there or how easy it would be to pick the lock. So to help deter an attemp to break in, the manufacturer offered a metal strap that covers the barrel lock that is secured with another lock. I bought one for each machine. So far this has worked. I've never had to deal with a break in. Cameras help too, and a BIG sign saying the CW is Protected by a Surveillance System.....

MEP001

Reaction score
My pop machines have locks that take a round key. I was wondering how many combinations of this key are out there or how easy it would be to pick the lock.
At one time, the machines supplied by Coca-Cola had only 11 different keys that fit every machine in the city that they furnished. Some kids got hold of a set and were robbing every machine they could get to on their way to school.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Now we know why they offered the bar locks as an accessory.....They created the need, then filled it!

bigleo48

Reaction score
For those T-handle type locks with most pop machines, thieves would drill a whole just under the keyed area of the barrel lock. Then insert a pin to release the locking latch of the barrel lock and open the door. That's why the covers are so popular.

Randy

Reaction score
Pop and vending machines are so simple to get into, a 12 year old could pop one open. The best defense is to use a Medco lock and an additional security hasp cover with an round American lock. It’s not 100% fool proof but it will slow them down.