What's new

Need help

bcoggin

Reaction score
I am remodeling my wash and I would like input on where the best place to place my vacuum islands. Right now they are at each end of the building. It's a 4 bay ss. I am buying the land in front of my vending and change machine. I plan on paving that lot to make it easier to get in and out of the wash. I am willing to saw out my concrete and I was wondering if I should place one of my stations in front of my change machine? Thanks for any input.

MEP001

Reaction score
Can you draw up a basic layout of the wash, or post the overhead view of it from Google Earth?

MEP001

Reaction score
JustClean said:
Whatever you do - don't put them in front of the SS bays (like me).
I agree - it works most of the time, but when it's the busiest it ends up costing you money.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Agree with not putting them in front or behind the SS bays. Mine are at both my washes. I don't like busy days where bays are blocked from customers using the vacs. Not their fault, just a design flaw. I don't like them behind the bays either as I feel bad as people with clean, dry vehicles are vacuuming and someone in the bay is washing and the wind whips through spraying the other customer's clean vehicle. In my opinion, I'd put them off to one side or the other under a canopy.

On a side note - just like everyone else on this forum, I'm always looking for ways to adjust and improve the wash. One crazy thought I had was to move the vacuum service into the SS bays. That way a customer could do everything at one spot without having to move. I quickly shot down that idea when I realized they would end up drying their vehicle in the bay taking up precious real estate blocking others from washing. Just another one of those ideas to stick a pin in for now until I can modify the pricing to "rent" the bay.

bcoggin

Reaction score
Not sure how to post pic from google earth but the address is: 31°32'27.97" N 82°27'46.91" W. Its the third property headed west from the main intersection. The grass lot west of my wash is the one I am buying. The change and vending machine will face west also. Currently the vacuum islands are at the north and south ends of the wash. I have removed the large shelter at the south end of the ss bays. I also have a 5th bay on the south end and to the side for a automatic that are in future plans to get back running. (needs new equipment). Any ideas on how to improve this wash are greatly appreciated. I am replacing my self serve equipment with Ginsan VFD system.

MEP001

Reaction score
Jeff_L said:
One crazy thought I had was to move the vacuum service into the SS bays. That way a customer could do everything at one spot without having to move.
I think something like that would be fantastic in a colder region, in fact I believe a few have it done that way and charge rent to use the bay with the doors shut and the heater on rather than just selling time on the equipment. It might even work here in the summer and air condition the bays instead of heat them. I'd hate to think about what that would cost.

We've got the vacs under a covered area behind the bays, but they're a good 50 feet away. The spray has pretty much dissipated by the time it gets that far.