What's new

Need help with ryko mucb

mrc

Reaction score
I am having a problem with a Ryko unit with a multi-upgrade coin box. Sometimes codes with 1,2,or 3 come back as "invalid code" and replaces the 1,2,or 3 with a 0. I have replaced the keypad, coin box computer and code-a-wash box and it still does it. I have also checked the wires for continuity. Any code without a 1, 2, or 3 works fine. As you push the numbers they do show up on the coin box screen, but then it comes back after about 5 sec. and invalid.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ryko CS

Reaction score
There were two different types of MUCB (Multi Upgrade Coinbox). The older ones utilized DTMF for communications and can be identified by a black screen with green letters. The newer models communicate over RykoNet with the CAW and have a green background on the display with black letters. Which model do you have?

When you enter a code with a 1,2 or 3 and this issue happens, please go to the CAW and do a "last coinbox entries" report. What does it show for that code? As an example, if a customer enters 51555, does the last coinbox report show 50555 or 51555?

mrc

Reaction score
This would be the older one with dtmf, black screen with green letters. I will double check next time I am at this location but I think that on the CAW it was coming up as 05555 or just 5555 for a code of 52555.

Ryko CS

Reaction score
When the keys are pressed, their signal goes directly to the CBI through the ribbon cable from the keypad. The CBI will update the display, and it communicates to the CAW via DTMF (wires 550/592) to validate the code. After the code is validated by the CAW, it communicates back to the CBI using serial communication (wires 521/523) which will update the display again.

The unique part of what you have described is that the display shows up correctly, then changes, and the fact that the code is showing up as invalid. When it displays initially, it would be strictly off what the CBI is interpreting from the keypad, so if originally correct, I would think the keypad is probably OK. If the last coinbox entries report doesn't show what was actually pressed on the keypad, it would most likely be an issue related to the communication from the CBI to the CAW or anywhere in-between. Since it's relatively consistent, most likely suspect to me would be the CBI or noise.