What's new

Need advise installing FRP

dogwasher

Reaction score
I'm looking for any tips for installing FRP wall board. Do I have to use the adhesive to attach the FRP to the brick wall? I don't want to in case it ever needs to be removed in the future. Do I drill holes 18" apart? I know I need to drill the FRP with a 5/16" bit to give it some expansion room.

captain cw

Reaction score
I would not use ant adhesive. It can make it buckle and ripple when the sun hits it. Make the hole in the frp for your wall nail anchors slightly larger so that the frp can contract and expand during the different times of the year. Also leave a little space in the joint pieces for the same reason. I would also stack the pieces and pre-drill all of your mounting holes, so they are uniform.

Eric H

Reaction score
captain cw;36213 I would also stack the pieces and pre-drill all of your mounting holes said:
I also pre-drilled all the holes while they were stacked up. I only messed up on 2 sheets where the holes ended up too close to a vent pipe to drill into the wall. I also skipped the adhesive.

Chiefs

Reaction score
Wall anchors are preferable. As for the type of FRP. I highly recommend that you do not install the ripples/orange peel type. Once it gets dirty, it is all but impssible to get into the nooks. Instead, I highly recoomend a smooth, gel-coated FRP. It does not hold dirt, cleans up far easier and holds up better to wall wash solutions.

dogwasher

Reaction score
Thanks, I would think the smooth stuff may show more defects if the sheets are not exactly flat against the wall and with all the bricks, mortar and joints and things to cut around I didn't think the smooth FRP would look good?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Wall anchors are preferable. As for the type of FRP. I highly recommend that you do not install the ripples/orange peel type. Once it gets dirty, it is all but impssible to get into the nooks. Instead, I highly recoomend a smooth, gel-coated FRP. It does not hold dirt, cleans up far easier and holds up better to wall wash solutions.
A local guy sells and installs FRP for many local washes. I asked about smooth vs rough when I saw the smoot at a local SS. He sys it looks great unntil the Nimrod Vandals scratch their graffitti into it.

I went with the rough at the SS and will now go with smooth at the tunnels when i do or redo them.