What's new

Need advice

Bob2202288

Reaction score
I need some advice – here’s a little background on my business and me.
I’m fairly new to the car wash industry. I got in just in time to pay top dollar for my property, but right at the big market drop. Great timing. Well my business is struggling - barely making ends meet. I have five self serve bays and a touch free automatic. I have been considering turning one or two bays into a detail center. Here’s one of my problems – I work a full time and the business is not making enough to justify not doing so. Not to mention I’m a more of pencil pusher kinda guy.
If your advice is don’t do it – I hear you, but I don’t think I survive much longer if I don’t try something new.
So, my questions are:
1) Has anyone turned a self serve car wash into a detail center?
2) Is it possible – even remotely - to be an absentee detail center owner?
3) Where would you suggest getting more knowledge and know how on running a detail center?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Here are some answers.

1) Yes.
2) Possible but “not” recommended.
3) There is an abundance of information available on the web that you can dredge up. You can also contact companies like Detail King, Detail Plus, Paint Bull, etc., for direct assistance.

Here is some advice.

Before jumping into another business that you have no hands-on or ownership experience, I would try to determine why the carwash business is not performing.

If your carwash business is suffering, what makes you believe that a detail business at this location would do any better?

Are you spending enough time at the wash? Are you marketing and promoting the business properly? Are your prices too high? Are you maintaining the wash properly? Have new competitors entered the market since you’ve opened? Etc.

Understand the root cause of the carwash problem and you will be in a better position to identify what you can or should do to correct the situation.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I totally agree with Robert. Before attempting any business changes you should make sure you are maximizing your car wash efforts. Without knowing more about your operation and other circumstances like local competition, demographics, etc it is difficult to discuss what might be best. Perhaps hiring a car wash or marketing consultant might be in order.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with the above posts.

I will add;

~look at the line item expenses on your p+l and make some calls to negotiate better pricing, starting w/largest expenses.

~evaluate your wash and determine your strengths and weaknesses.

~go after some fleet accounts.

~try some guerilla marketing.

~use autobell's charity carwash program template to create more buzz via community involvement.

~encourage customer feedback about your detailing ideas.